SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-10-11, 06:58 PM   #1
Tian

Default Complete electrical failure.

Right,

So I had my 2004 SV going nice and smoothly and was actually looking forward to the MOT (already had new tyres, new battery, everything good) and wasn't expecting any upset. Then one day I stopped at side of road to say hey to a mate, engine off, 2mins later turned the key aaaaaand nothing. Not a glimmer on the display, no lights, no fuel pump, nada. Had to push her home, very embarrassing.

So problem was I then went away two weeks later for a few months and she's been sat alone in a garage doing nothing (work is a b*tch ey?) and now I've returned. Have removed fuel tank, seat, fairings, and front all to have a good look at her - I'm thinking electrics - defo not battery as have tested it and its fine.

Was having problems with ignition barrel (i.e. where key turns) and a little temperamental so might be the problem? Should i just run a volt-meter up and down until I find a fault - how do I do this? If not where do you think I should start looking?

As said, turning the key does nothing. Thanks in advance guys!
Old 03-10-11, 07:33 PM   #2
victor_meldrew

Default Re: Damn electrics!

Did you have the battery checked BEFORE the failure or after ?

Sounds like something near to the battery for me - either connection to the terminals loose, bad earth from the battery, main fuse, or similar - just my opinion, but I'll be the first to say I know nowt about lectrics !

Oh, and also check the joint between CABLE and the terminal connector at the end of the cables ... had this on a Mini years ago !

Last edited by victor_meldrew; 03-10-11 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-10-11, 08:08 PM   #3
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Seeing as you're getting no electrics at all, the problem is very likely confined to a small amount of circuitry and/or parts.

1. The battery and postive cable from it to the solenoid.
2. The main fuse and holder, (the starter solenoid contains both)
3. The wire and connectors from solenoid to ignition switch.
4. The wire and connectors from ignition switch back into the loom.

If you're certain of the battery and main fuse, then the first place I'd look is the multi connector that sits between the loom and ignition switch* - a number of these have proven to be a problem causing exactly the fault you're experiencing.

*On your bike this is, (from memory!), a green four pin connector found behind the headstock, just in front of the airbox.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-11, 09:03 PM   #4
Tian

Default Re: Complete electrical failure.

Ok brill.. so I will get onto checking them in the morning.

Is this something I check with running a volt meter over it with the battery connected? Or is it going to be a case of taking things off, cleaning and checking and putting back together again?

Battery has been checked since the fault and is fine (plus its fairly new), and have checked all the main fuses under the seat. I will go and check the multi connector as soon as I can, failing that will check all cables through solenoid .. is there any way of checking if the ignition barrel is registering I've turned the key?
Old 03-10-11, 09:42 PM   #5
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tian View Post
have checked all the main fuses under the seat.
Just to clarify: The main fuse is not in the fuse box under the seat, it's on the starter solenoid, behind the right hand panel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tian View Post
Is this something I check with running a volt meter over it with the battery connected? Or is it going to be a case of taking things off, cleaning and checking and putting back together again?
Best way is lift the tank, locate the relevant connector, unplug it and use the Mark-One-Eyeball-Method on both sides, if it looks clean and undamaged it probably is, while you're there you could check the ignition switch for continuity, and that the loom side of the plug is live, if it isn't then the fault is obviously further back - battery/connections/battery cable/main fuse/holder/four pin plug on solenoid/wire to ignition switch connector.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-11, 10:02 PM   #6
Tian

Yeah sorry, have indeed checked main fuse.

Ok will take a good look and check the solenoid too, if I can't find anything wrong I will take pictures and upload them on here tomorrow morning.

And thank you for the title change, little more specific.
Old 04-10-11, 07:21 PM   #7
Shawthing

As SidSquid says:
Likely to be this:-
http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=168184
Not infrequent fault.

Non arbores caesa suum mittere nuntius, sed magnum numerum electrons uehementissime incommo.
Shawthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-12, 09:28 AM   #8
trail guru

I had exact same issue on my K3S after 25K miles - turn ignition and no electrics. It was a burned out connection in the green, multi-connector located behind the head stock (as suggested above). The damage was not visible until I pulled the connector apart. Inside a crsipy, black mess around one pin. Shawthing's link above explains how to fix this (by-pass the burned out connection).

When I did this it was a whole lot easier with access from above AND below. To do this on a K3S: (a) lift the fuel tank then displace the air box - no need to disconnect air box electrics - to gain access from the top. (b) disconnect the horn, radiator fixing bolts, move the radiator forward and remove plastic baffle on underside of head stock to gain access from the bottom. The green connector sits firmly on a lug and needs to be pushed up to free it.

I 'replaced' the connection with a bullet connector, soldered the others then shrink-wrapped all new connections to keep out water.
Old 12-01-12, 10:04 AM   #9
Geodude
Mega Poster

Did you get this sorted Tian?

Electrical fault finding guide and Regulator rectifier test

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
Geodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-12, 12:52 PM   #10
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid View Post
*On your bike this is, (from memory!), a green four pin connector found behind the headstock, just in front of the airbox.
Yup.

And obviously for something which has the combination of being vital and unreliable in equal measure, it's a right C**T to get at!