SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-01-08, 10:00 PM   #1
tomjones2

Default Tyre Warmers- again sorry

Has anyone used these before, they are very competitively priced and the website certainly makes some big claims about supplying races teams, look genuine to me. £150 sounds very good

http://www.diasec.co.uk/
Old 09-01-08, 10:04 PM   #2
chunkytfg

Default Re: Tyre Warmers- again sorry

diamond security warmers are superb. I have 2 sets.The only ones i would recommend over them are HWW or chicken hawk and at over £250 they are not in the same league to compare to.
Old 09-01-08, 10:10 PM   #3
Biker_Billy

Just been surfing and seen these on the busters website. No idea what they are like tho...

Electrically heated Tyre Warmers.
Details

Whether you’re a racer or a track day addict or, tyre warmers are an essential piece of wquipment. Both race and road tyres need a certain amount of heat before they can give their best performance. Without tyre warmers, valuable track time is lost whilst building up heat into cold rubber. Track day sessions average 6 laps, it takes 3 laps to warm up cold tyres. That’s 50% of track time lost warming the tyres. Tyre wear is increased when tyres are cold.
One size fits most models.

Was: £149.99
Price: £99.99
Old 09-01-08, 10:14 PM   #4
chunkytfg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker_Billy View Post
Just been surfing and seen these on the busters website. No idea what they are like tho...

Electrically heated Tyre Warmers.
Details

Whether you’re a racer or a track day addict or, tyre warmers are an essential piece of wquipment. Both race and road tyres need a certain amount of heat before they can give their best performance. Without tyre warmers, valuable track time is lost whilst building up heat into cold rubber. Track day sessions average 6 laps, it takes 3 laps to warm up cold tyres. That’s 50% of track time lost warming the tyres. Tyre wear is increased when tyres are cold.
One size fits most models.

Was: £149.99
Price: £99.99
Stay away from them. less heating elements in them than any decent tyre wamer so gives patchy heating effects along with the fact they have a history of self igniting
Old 09-01-08, 10:34 PM   #5
Lozzo

If they are Motrax ones steer well clear of them, they are as Chunkytfg says.
Old 09-01-08, 10:40 PM   #6
metalmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjones2 View Post
Has anyone used these before, they are very competitively priced and the website certainly makes some big claims about supplying races teams, look genuine to me. £150 sounds very good

http://www.diasec.co.uk/
Are these the best buy then? What kind of power output do you need from a genny, to power everything that you need? Is 2kw enough? Would that handle the ibital load of when everything is powered up?
Old 09-01-08, 10:48 PM   #7
Lozzo

A 3kW gennie would be better, but if you've got the warmers on you won't be making a cup of tea cos you'll be about to go out on track

Do a session, come in and put the warmers on but don't plug them in, make tea, then plug the warmers up just as they call the session before your next one. 20 minutes of heat if they've been wrapped up since the last session should be ok
Old 10-01-08, 09:13 AM   #8
tomjones2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluethunder View Post
Are these the best buy then? What kind of power output do you need from a genny, to power everything that you need? Is 2kw enough? Would that handle the ibital load of when everything is powered up?
From the website it says approx 1200w for both so they say a gennie of 1.5kva I am hoping to get something slightly bigger so there is a bit of left over for other stuff if needed.

I reckon these look the best value for money I have seen so far
Old 10-01-08, 11:39 AM   #9
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozzo View Post
… come in and put the warmers on but don't plug them in, make tea, then plug the warmers up just as they call the session before your next one. 20 minutes of heat if they've been wrapped up since the last session should be ok
I disagree! ... keep the tyres hot all day! NEVER let them cool over the day, even wrapped in warmers, they are going to cool right off this time of year. every time the are allowed to cool and then re-heated they ‘cycle’ (that is bad for race/track rubber) … warmers are thermostatically controlled these days, so it is not like you will ever let them overheat by leaving them on. You technically can then only put one cycle through them in a day. Also unless you have partially rapid/powerful warmers, I’d say 20 mins is not really enough time to get the tyre, wheel and air (inside tyre) hot!!

Make a flask in the AM before you start if you need tea and are struggling for power, or put it on when you are out on the bike (warmers unplugged).

If you are doing trackdays, cheap warmers will prolly be ok, at the end of the day you can take a few laps to get full heat in, you don’t get that luxury at a race, so you need good warmers.