SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Moto GP Goto Moto GP Official Site

View Poll Results: Rid Moto Gp od electronic aid's?
YES! 13 65.00%
No 3 15.00%
Some 2 10.00%
Who cares? 2 10.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18-07-08, 12:42 AM   #1
ThEGr33k

Default Ban electronic aid's?

Just that, a lot of people me included believe that racing now in motogp is getting precession like. The bikes are too well behaved and its getting dull to watch.

So just wondering what people think on here...
Old 18-07-08, 01:02 AM   #2
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Default Re: Ban electronic aid's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThEGr33k View Post
Just that, a lot of people me included believe that racing now in motogp is getting precession like. The bikes are too well behaved and its getting dull to watch.

So just wondering what people think on here...
Why stop at electronic aids!

They should ditch 4 strokes and go back to the 500GP bike days - that would be more interesting. While we are at it - ditch the disc brakes too - back to drums all round - that should ensure some real action! Actually, while we are at it - these new fangled radial tyres that allow for better grip and lean angles - not like the old days! They should go back to belt? tyres! Bolt on some mono shocks - ohlins, schmohlins pah!

So in answer to your question, No I don't think so - It's called progression.

MotoGP is not a procession - it is a highly competitive sport, where the pinnacle of bike technology and rider skill are put to the test! Comments like:

Quote:
The bikes are too well behaved and its getting dull to watch
Sounds like you just want more people to crash, which is definitely not what makes motoGP exciting
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30

Last edited by lukemillar; 18-07-08 at 07:00 AM.
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-08, 07:50 AM   #3
Jase22

You have a point lukemillar, but I disagree with you. IMO the electronic aids on the bikes are such that they only appear to really allow for one line through corners which leads to less overtaking, and hence is more boring.

Nobody wants to see zillions of crashes, we're not talking Nascar here, it would just appear that racing was more interesting before traction control and the like. My point being, one rider is a little hot in the corner at current, the traction control just steps in and backs the power down slightly to make sure they don't lose time. Previously, the rider would have had to back off on the throttle, which I feel gives way to more competitive racing and more overtakes.

Also, Moto GP is supposed to be about racing and not physics, whether a rider leans to 55.327 degrees doesn't really float my boat as I'm sure other people would agree. Anyway, this was achievable previously, and elbow down is no new thing. Just check out Jean-Philippe Ruggia.
Old 18-07-08, 08:04 AM   #4
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase22 View Post
You have a point lukemillar, but I disagree with you. IMO the electronic aids on the bikes are such that they only appear to really allow for one line through corners which leads to less overtaking, and hence is more boring.
These bikes can take any line they like! They just pick a line because, well it's the fastest

I would say it's more to do with the development of the bikes, being so competitive that makes it close/harder to overtake. These guys are just right on the limit

I read an interview with John Hopkins, saying that with GP bikes, it is near impossible to overtake on the gas at the corner exit - TC or no TC (just look at 125s and 250s). Whoever gets into the corner first, will get on the gas sooner and they are so evenly matched in power that it just wouldn't happen. 90% of overtakes are done on the brakes into the corner - A point where TC has little/no effect.
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30

Last edited by lukemillar; 18-07-08 at 08:06 AM.
Old 18-07-08, 08:09 AM   #5
Alpinestarhero

Give them electronics, and they just feel safer...so they push harder.

See how a MotoGP bike can bite back, like it has been doing to lorenzo?
Old 18-07-08, 08:14 AM   #6
ThEGr33k

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukemillar View Post
MotoGP is not a procession - it is a highly competitive sport, where the pinnacle of bike technology and rider skill are put to the test! Comments like:

Sounds like you just want more people to crash, which is definitely not what makes motoGP exciting
Guess you watch a different sport to me...

Its the pinnicle of riding skill I watch it for and not the pinnicle of technology. If I wanted to watch the pinnicle of tech id watch F1, which is an engineers game.

IMO when it gets to the stage of the ECU engineer being more important to the victory than the rider, which it is then its gone too far.
Old 18-07-08, 08:19 AM   #7
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThEGr33k View Post
Guess you watch a different sport to me...

Its the pinnicle of riding skill I watch it for and not the pinnicle of technology. If I wanted to watch the pinnicle of tech id watch F1, which is an engineers game.

IMO when it gets to the stage of the ECU engineer being more important to the victory than the rider, which it is then its gone too far.
Erm...if it's boring, don't watch it then!

What you're really saying is you just don't like Stoner and believe his skill to stem from traction control. (as can be observed from your previous posts)

But really, you're just bummed because there is no Aprilla team in the main event
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
Old 18-07-08, 08:22 AM   #8
ThEGr33k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase22 View Post

Nobody wants to see zillions of crashes, we're not talking Nascar here, it would just appear that racing was more interesting before traction control and the like. My point being, one rider is a little hot in the corner at current, the traction control just steps in and backs the power down slightly to make sure they don't lose time. Previously, the rider would have had to back off on the throttle, which I feel gives way to more competitive racing and more overtakes.

Also, Moto GP is supposed to be about racing and not physics, whether a rider leans to 55.327 degrees doesn't really float my boat as I'm sure other people would agree. Anyway, this was achievable previously, and elbow down is no new thing. Just check out Jean-Philippe Ruggia.
Exactly. Im thinking about buying the 2002 and 2003 seasons on DVD if I can find them as the racing was racing. BRILLIANT, youd get a lot of riders fighting it out at the front not just 3-4 riders who are on the best kit which to suits their style.

Quote:
These bikes can take any line they like! They just pick a line because, well it's the fastest .
Watch the 2002-2003 seasons. Back then if they went in hot they would run wide but and so lose some time BUT they would get back on the power earlier because of it and get a better run out of the corner making up for it. Just doesnt happen now as other lines arnt even comparable to the extreme lean "right" line. They need to slow the corner speed down again so people can do overtaking tricks instead of concentrating entirely on getting the corner perfect.

Losing electronic aids will do this... Stonner for example wouldnt be able to open the throttle wide going into the corner like he does now, hell have to use his hand and not his TC.

You cant tell me that as the years have gone by the racing has got boring. If you enjoy it more now then well. OK, have fun.

I do agree with the pinnicle of tech thing... but imo if you make the racing boring then its a step in the wrong direction.
Old 18-07-08, 08:26 AM   #9
ThEGr33k

Quote:
Erm...if it's boring, don't watch it then!

What you're really saying is you just don't like Stoner and believe his skill to stem from traction control. (as can be observed from your previous posts)

But really, you're just bummed because there is no Aprilla team in the main event
HA HA. I only watch hoping something might change. I dont dislike stoner, but you are right I dont like him. IMO leading a race like he does from first to last corner with no fighting is plain boring... might as well not bother.

Getting ride of TC will change this imo. All for the better as ive said.
Old 18-07-08, 08:52 AM   #10
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

I dont think banning it will make alot of difference to which riders win. All I expect we'll see is a re-surgence in Rossi's dominance as I believe its well known that he has a very fine and sensitive touch with the throttle. I dont believe it'll change that much in fact I reckon there will be an even bigger gap between the riders than there is now.

However banning it I believe will bring back the spectacle of power sliding through coppice and various other corners on different circuits which was awesome to watch the 990's doing.

The reason why theres so much electronics on the 800cc bikes is IMHO that the power delivery is much more peaky and the manufacturers are looking for ways to make the bikes more rideable.

Guintolli's TC failed the other weekend not only did he get his best result of the year so far, he also said he thorougly enjoyed himself. Also didnt Nicky Hayden turn his electronics off at one race last year and also seemed to lap quicker without as he couldnt get it setup to his liking.

I think the thing is with eletronics, is that its taking control away from the riders and its in danger of getting F1 like in that the best software package is a huge benefit to a team that can make it work and the others suffer and its not just about the rider anymore and I think it should be more about the rider and mechanical stuff like tyres and chassis rather than a geek in the backroom twiddling with a laptop.

I do realise its the pinnacle of the sport, but its lost some of the panache, the spectacle and the drama of it.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote