SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 14-02-13, 06:34 PM   #1
Bluepete
Mega Poster

Default Does iOS degrade like Windows?

Having owned many laptops over the years, all on a variety of Windows, I found each one gradually slowed down and needed a lot of TLC to keep going.

Mrs BP's current Dell is as usefull as a newly accredited CPS lawyer with a complicated traffic case in font of them and we are off shopping tomorrow.

The question is, and please forget the "Apple fan-boi" argument, does iOS degrade in the same way as windows?

I'm not interested in cost issues and we don't have the tech know-how to "fettle" windows systems. This is purely a question about the operating systems longevity.

Thanks for the intelligent replies,

Pete
Bluepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-13, 06:39 PM   #2
Spank86

Default Re: Does iOS degrade like Windows?

Not so much.

I feel like a stuck record but you'll probably find that doing a full factory reset on an old PC and hoovering its innards to get all the dust out will restore it to close to its original speed (allowing for the increased needs of newer programs)
Old 14-02-13, 06:48 PM   #3
Neeja

By iOS do you mean OS X? iOS is for iDevices whereas OS X is the Macbook OS.

If you mean OS X, I've not found it to degrade at all, really. I swapped from an XP laptop to a Macbook Pro years ago, and don't regret it at all. I can see why you may want a Windows 7 laptop (and I have a desktop with it on), but personally I don't think I'd ever go back to a Windows portable.
Old 14-02-13, 06:53 PM   #4
kiggles

apple stop supporting their older operating systems. as my dads mac cant upgrade to use new itunes with his phone or buy new apple products for his mac, as they dont support the old OPerating system.
Old 14-02-13, 06:59 PM   #5
Fallout
Mega Poster

I think OS degrading/slow down is a myth, perpetuated since Win 98 which did actually degrade (MS admitted to it) and maintained because people put crap on their computers and slow it down themselves then blame the OS. I suspect iOS is fine, so long as you don't put lots of crap on it.
Fallout Breakbeat (My Music)
Fallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-13, 07:01 PM   #6
Bluepete
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeja View Post
By iOS do you mean OS X? iOS is for iDevices whereas OS X is the Macbook OS.

If you mean OS X, I've not found it to degrade at all, really. I swapped from an XP laptop to a Macbook Pro years ago, and don't regret it at all. I can see why you may want a Windows 7 laptop (and I have a desktop with it on), but personally I don't think I'd ever go back to a Windows portable.
Yes. The thought is, change to a MacBook from a windows Dell.

Next question is MS Word compatible with Apple OS. Not to wrk on, but to read it.

Pete
Bluepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-13, 07:02 PM   #7
Spank86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallout View Post
I think OS degrading/slow down is a myth, perpetuated since Win 98 which did actually degrade (MS admitted to it) and maintained because people put crap on their computers and slow it down themselves then blame the OS. I suspect iOS is fine, so long as you don't put lots of crap on it.
I blame dust, viruses, and ten ton of rubbish programs that all add ongoing processes.

Not necessarily in that order.
Old 14-02-13, 07:09 PM   #8
Fallout
Mega Poster

Yeah. I hate it when I open msconfig or my registry to see a load of crap in there because I just installed something with a million pop ups. You try to get rid of it all but stuff always hangs around waiting to stealz ur cyclezzz!

Plus the problem is made significantly worse by anti-virus. Every program run at start up will be scanned, so if it's particularly cryptic or doing a lot and you have a poor AV program things will start to crawl and you might not know why.
Fallout Breakbeat (My Music)

Last edited by Fallout; 14-02-13 at 07:11 PM.
Fallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-13, 07:40 PM   #9
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

I have 3 macs. One from 2001 running an early of OS X and its still as quick as the day I got it.

The main problem as someone else mentioned is that they eventually stop developing newer versions of OS X to work on older machines. So my PowerMac is stuck at 10.3 (I think) and the next version was bought out for the rolling out of the iPhone so I couldn't sync my iPhone to it. My MacBook which was bought in 2007 is now stuck on snow leopard as mountain lion doesnt work on it.

So I guess you need to purchase a new one every 5 years to stay up to date. Which is annoying but enevitable.
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-13, 08:20 PM   #10
Skip
Mega Poster

My 7 year old Windows XP Acer laptop ran like lightning(ish...!) when I reformatted it recently - did a full Windows update and the speed significantly dropped so I blame all those updates that MS has released over the years slowly dragging the laptop to its knees