SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-12-11, 06:23 PM   #1
XmisterIS

Default flickering brake light when front brake applied.

I have a naked pointy K7.

Indicators are fine, rear brake makes the brake light come on fine, headlamp is fine on main and dipped beam.

But the front brake does something strange ... when I just move the lever to the "click" point, the brake light comes on. But when I move it further, it flickers and sometimes goes off completely.

I have just fitted new brake lines, I don't think that would have anything to do with it though.

Any ideas?
Old 15-12-11, 06:28 PM   #2
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Default Re: flickering brake light when front brake applied.

Have you checked the brake light switch on the front brake lever ? Check the connections on it.

My SV did something similar, I replaced the switch on the front brake lever and it solved it.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-11, 06:30 PM   #3
XmisterIS

Ok thanks, I'll check it out. That would make sense given that the rest of the electrics are fine.

Also, I have been fiddling around with the master cylinder, connecting up the brake lines, so I could well have knocked the switch by mistake.

Last edited by XmisterIS; 15-12-11 at 06:35 PM.
Old 15-12-11, 07:58 PM   #4
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

On a related question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me!
take the wires off of the front switch and join them, does the brake light come on?
If yes then the switch is the problem, remove it, fill with WD40 or similar and operate the switch with your finger a few million times. If the switch still 'clicks' then it very likely hasn't mechanically failed, so the 'switch full of WD and click it a lot' approach often works in cleaning the contacts.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-11, 08:05 PM   #5
XmisterIS

Ok, great I'll try that. I just had another fiddle, I think it is either the connector or switch - I can get it to work but only if I press the connector in a certain position.
Old 16-12-11, 09:36 AM   #6
tom-k6

just had the same problem with mine, was the connector block to the lever. just try to push it back in straight or wiggle it a bit thats what she said anyway/