SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 11-09-12, 02:41 PM   #1
Berlin

Default 9/11 Discussion Thread - Split from 9/11 respect thread

Am I the only on that can't stand this being brought up each year?

Do you think the Americans would give a flying fig if had happened anywhere else, to anyone else?

And because of this event *hundreds of thousands* of innocent people have died outside of America but you never hear the same "God bless them" crap for them.

Sorry but while being initially tragic, the whole 9/11 thing just grates on me.

Let it fade away. I don't want to see this guff every year.

C
Old 11-09-12, 03:27 PM   #2
Milky Bar Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlin View Post
Am I the only on that can't stand this being brought up each year?

Do you think the Americans would give a flying fig if had happened anywhere else, to anyone else?

And because of this event *hundreds of thousands* of innocent people have died outside of America but you never hear the same "God bless them" crap for them.

Sorry but while being initially tragic, the whole 9/11 thing just grates on me.

Let it fade away. I don't want to see this guff every year.

C
I don't give a toss whether or not you want to see it!!

At the end of the day, innocent people, of all walks of life died. I don't disagree with you about the other innocents that died as a result of the "war on terror" but that post is a bit harsh and a bit callous IMO.

Aa spidey said - if you don't like the thread title, don't read it.
Old 11-09-12, 04:06 PM   #3
Small Clanger

Default Re: 9/11 respect

[QUOTE=Berlin;2769864]

They certainly cared enough to help during The Great War and The Second World War when the evil emanating from Berlin was the threat, Berlin.

Last edited by Small Clanger; 11-09-12 at 04:12 PM.
Old 11-09-12, 04:58 PM   #4
Messie
The Teacer
Mega Poster

Berlin - I agree with you.

Whilst it is worth remembering any innocent person person who has been caught up in someone else's fight, it does grate on my nerves somewhat, that this particular tragedy is singled out for special remembrance every year.

I know that it's dreadful for those who were killed in the blasts, and for their families and loved ones. As it is also for the people, paid or volunteer, who may suffer as a result of giving thier help.

But so is it also for the hundreds, from this country and others, who has suffered and/or died as a result of the American government's reaction to it all.

I don't think it is our place to have special remembrance for those in an American tragedy - just a general remembrance for all those who lose their lives or health in innocence
Old 11-09-12, 08:15 PM   #5
Berlin

[QUOTE=Small Clanger;2769888]
Quote:
They certainly cared enough to help during The Great War and The Second World War when the evil emanating from Berlin was the threat, Berlin.
No they bloody didn't! They were dragged extremely reluctantly into the second world war due to the Japanese attacking Pearl Harbour! TWO years after the war started!

I don't commemorate 11/11 or the Hillsboro events or the 7/7 events. I don't commemorate openly, any dead.

They are in the past. Having lived in various countries where the past is an embarrassment, (China, Japan, Germany) I find the way they deal with it as an unspoken-of respect to be far more civilised way of doing things.

But then I've never been one for getting all gooey eyed for folks I don't know.

Oh, and quite frankly, I couldn't care one jot if me not towing the popularist line upsets of offends anyone. Free thinking and all that.

C

Last edited by Berlin; 11-09-12 at 08:17 PM.
Old 11-09-12, 11:35 PM   #6
gruntygiggles
DaffyGingerBint
Mega Poster

[QUOTE=Berlin;2770037]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Clanger View Post

I don't commemorate 11/11 or the Hillsboro events or the 7/7 events. I don't commemorate openly, any dead.

They are in the past. Having lived in various countries where the past is an embarrassment, (China, Japan, Germany) I find the way they deal with it as an unspoken-of respect to be far more civilised way of doing things.

C
This point may be valid were it not for the fact that the nations you speak of are those who were, in their time, the perpetrators of evil! Of course they don't remember in the same way. The silence is not from embarrassment any more than the people of Bristol feel guilty about the history of slave trading...the silence comes from a desire not to offend those nations who lost so many while fighting for the good. We could all learn something from that.

This forum loves debate, we all know that, but I find it slightly disappointing that people wanting to make a point on this do it by derailing a thread where the intentions are purely honourable.

If you want to make a point about not remembering or why you don't like these threads, please start a new thread and leave this one to those who simply want to pay their respects.

Before you type your thoughts on things like this...ask yourself is your opinion and the sharing of it going to do any good other than to satisfy your need to be heard. If the answer is no...save yourself the effort.

Last edited by gruntygiggles; 11-09-12 at 11:39 PM.
gruntygiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-12, 12:06 AM   #7
Berlin

with respect, if I were derailing this thread I'd talk about pigeons doing ballet.

My post is on point and is of a different point of view on the same thing. Feel free to disagree with anything I say. I respect your right to say it.

If one were to start a post with a different point of view on each thread there's be a an "I love..." and "I hate..." for everything. And that would polarise a very balanced Forum.

I'll let those who want to remember remember now.. Me? I'm going fishing with Pigeons doing ballet..

C
Old 12-09-12, 04:45 AM   #8
BanannaMan

[QUOTE=Berlin;2770037]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Clanger View Post

No they bloody didn't! They were dragged extremely reluctantly into the second world war due to the Japanese attacking Pearl Harbour! TWO years after the war started!

But then I've never been one for getting all gooey eyed for folks I don't know.

Oh, and quite frankly, I couldn't care one jot if me not towing the popularist line upsets of offends anyone. Free thinking and all that.

C

No matter where in the world it is, no matter what it is, no matter if it falls into line with your beliefs,
If people are paying their respects to whomever or whatever and you interupt to say you have no respect for whatever,
that's considered being an ********.
If you have no respect for others, you could at least have some for yourself.

Your crap comment on WWII I'll put down as anti-American sentiment.
Surely you can't be that ignorant of history.

I won't go into all the supplies we sent you on passenger ships the first two years untill the Germans gave up protesting and started sinking them.
Or that America knew there would be an attack from the Japanese and allowed itself to be drawn into the war. (was much more devastating than the naval battle they were expecting) Note it was the fight with the Germans, not revenge on the Japanese that was always the first priority.
Or how the local soldiers from where I live were the soldiers who landed on Omaha Beach on D- Day and there was nothing reluctant about how they fought and died that day.

But I expect you to have no more respect for that than you do 9/11 or Lockerbie, or 7/7 or anything else.

"The Mountains are calling and I must go"

Last edited by BanannaMan; 12-09-12 at 04:58 AM.
BanannaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-12, 05:52 AM   #9
Specialone

Quote:

C
That's because they LOST!!!

I'm certain if they had won a major war they would celebrate their fallen instead of being embarrassed about them.
I'm sure the guys who laid down their lives back then for your freedom would be so greatful for your continued respect and rememberance.

There definitely seems to be an anti American tone in your posts, while some of them can be annoying at times, simple facts are we would've been massively under resourced in ww2 without them and lost our fight as a result.
Old 12-09-12, 06:41 AM   #10
Bri w

Quote:
with respect, if I were derailing this thread I'd talk about pigeons doing ballet.

My post is on point and is of a different point of view on the same thing. Feel free to disagree with anything I say. I respect your right to say it.

If one were to start a post with a different point of view on each thread there's be a an "I love..." and "I hate..." for everything. And that would polarise a very balanced Forum.

I'll let those who want to remember remember now.. Me? I'm going fishing with Pigeons doing ballet..

C
The title of the thread is 9/11 RESEPECT! Not 9/11, let's have a debate about it.

I see no difference between what you've done and someone making a noise during the minute's silence on Rememberance Sunday. As GG said, start your own thread for the debate and leave the RESPECT thread alone.

Currently - Fighting the urge... seen a nice Triumph America

Previously - Honda CB125, Honda CB400-4 & BSA B40, Moto Guzzi 850, Yamaha RD250, Suzuki GT380, Kawasaki Z1B, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VFR, Triumph Street Triple R.
Bri w is offline   Reply With Quote