SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

The Madlanders For those based in the East & West Midlands.

Old 18-08-09, 07:10 PM   #41
-Ralph-

Default Re: Madlanders Megathread

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
A good old fashioned copper would just smile.

How many members do we have in Madlanders and how many people do these cars deal with every year? It's an unmeasurable tiny tiny minority that will have seen the plate from looking at this post on this forum. It's not like we're putting up billboards at the side of the M42 It's all a game and this gives us a tiny advantage

In the old days spotting a copper before he spotted you was all part of the game. They even used to stop you and say "I know what speed you were doing because of xyz, but I also know that you spotted me and slowed down before I had a chance to use the Vascar, next time I'll get you!".

When I was 18 I spotted an unmarked car waiting for folk coming out of the Th'Owd Tithe Barn (old Nells) pub on the A6 at Garstang. I pulled out of the car park and saw him sitting in a white Vauxhall Senator. Most folk turn left onto the A6, so he was waiting on the other side of the road, I turned right into the country lanes that I knew like the back of my hand and was in an XR3i, my mate was behind me in a 1.0 Micra and the copper would have to overtake him to get to me. So I saw my advantage and got the hammer down. The copper burled the car round, overtook my mate and gave chase. At the next village about 5-6 miles down the lane, he was waiting for my mate and stopped him. He walked up to the window with a smile and said "Tell your mate well done! First time in 20 years somebody has lost me. I be waiting for him next Saturday night and we'll see who's quicker when he doesn't have a head start!"

Another time on the M6 past Preston on 2nd January in the early hours of the morning I passed a Rover 800 doing 70 mph in the slow lane on an empty motorway. I was doing well over the ton in my Dad's Volvo S40. I slowed down to 80 and sure enough he comes up behind me and blue lights flash. Told him I'd just driven back from a New Years party in Bournemouth, empty motorway, Dad's car which I wasn't used to, looked down, got a surprise and lifted my foot. The copper knew it was ******** and that I'd just clocked him sitting at 70, so instead of booking me we spent half an hour sitting him on the bonnet of his car, me on the boot of the Volvo, on the hard shoulder, having a chat about what we did over xmas.

Those were the days! Coppers were fair (they still are when you find one, but they've been replaced by speed cameras!) and you could have a chat, a laugh and even the odd race and still avoid a ticket.
Old 18-08-09, 07:11 PM   #42
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binky View Post
Would you like me to fetch your pipe and slippers now Ralph?
Old 18-08-09, 07:11 PM   #43
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedplay View Post
Hes probably sitting in his wing backed armchair wearing his smoking jacket reading this...

The problem now is that any revenue from speeding goes directly to the police.. hence more incentive to stop you.
Old 18-08-09, 07:12 PM   #44
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
I already have my slippers, the dog got those, and I don't smoke a pipe, but I'll have a Hamlet old boy.

Smoking jacket? I'm just about to have dinner, I've just been upstairs to have a wash and get dressed properly, can't sit at a cabriole leg mahogany dining table smelling of smoke!

Winged back armchairs are very comfortable. I can't stand these young folk that lie around on sofas, I mean don't they have a bed?
Old 18-08-09, 07:17 PM   #45
speedplay

looks like blatant ageism old boy....
Old 19-08-09, 02:09 PM   #46
Binky
Emily Howard rides an SV
Mega Poster

Double eye ball today. Yellow curvy heading into Walmely around 12.30. Then i think the same one again heading into the centre of Sutton Coldfield at about 14:30.

Anyone off here?
Old 19-08-09, 08:57 PM   #47
speedplay

Eyeball for me too.

Blue pointy northbound on the m6 wearing a hi viz jacket (the rider not the pointy, that would just be silly!) at about 4.20 today.
Old 21-08-09, 04:40 PM   #48
jamesterror

Does anybody go anywhere on a Sunday morning? I've read that Pete & Lisa sometimes go Midland Superbikes on a Sunday morning?
jamesterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-09, 05:15 PM   #49
Specialone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesterror View Post
Does anybody go anywhere on a Sunday morning? I've read that Pete & Lisa sometimes go Midland Superbikes on a Sunday morning?
No, but i would be interested cos its the only time really i get to ride.
On a different note...
As never ridden with a group before, i was gonna post soon if any madlanders fancied a ride to elan valley one sunday towards end of september.
Been there loads of times but wanna go on the bike, nothing heavy, just easy ride there and back about 220 miles i think round trip from my house.
Phil
Old 21-08-09, 05:26 PM   #50
Lissa
Just Ballast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesterror View Post
Who? Us? Never heard of the place!

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialone View Post
No, but i would be interested cos its the only time really i get to ride.
On a different note...
As never ridden with a group before, i was gonna post soon if any madlanders fancied a ride to elan valley one sunday towards end of september.
Been there loads of times but wanna go on the bike, nothing heavy, just easy ride there and back about 220 miles i think round trip from my house.
Phil
Sadly, the only Sunday we have free in September is the 13th as far as I know, but as we'll be down in the Elan valley area two weeks after that for Hovis's bunkhouse weekend I don't think we'll want to go there just before.

I'd Rather Have Two Big Bangs Than Four Little Strokes
Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote