SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-07-19, 02:21 PM   #1
Freespirit

Exclamation Chain came off

Hello all spent the last 3 weeks doing everything up on my curvy sk1 shebruns nice just had the chain come off whilst I was riding just jumped out of gear and wouldn't go pulled the bike up theres doesnt seem to be any damage which is lucky but theres a small leak of clear liquid dont no if its oil or just grime what's the best method to see if theres any internal damage was only doing 15mph and the chain link has come out it's still in 1 piece not snapped in half
Freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-19, 02:43 PM   #2
shiftin_gear98

Default Re: Chain came off

15 mph - I was going quite a bit faster than that when I lost mine.
I think you'll be fine. Can you still select gears etc. Push it forwards and backwards?

I broke the chain, gear selector rod, and spring. Plus the rear plastics collected a couple more battle scars.

Where is this leak coming from?
shiftin_gear98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-19, 03:38 PM   #3
glang

youve been very lucky as at speed it could have been horrendous. Was it a rivetted link or circlip type? Does it still change gear ok (as far as you can tell without a chain of course)? Need to identify liquid as grime is not normally clear so it can only be oil or coolant.....
glang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-19, 04:50 PM   #4
Freespirit

Hi yes I can still change gear bit awkwardly tho still goes into neutral had to push it a fair hike back .. it's going into the garage friday so they will spot any damage I'm just glad it happened at 15 and not on the motorway could of died .
Old 03-07-19, 04:51 PM   #5
Freespirit

Sorry think it was riveted as the tiny pin has gone out of 2 links but the chains in one piece
Old 03-07-19, 05:01 PM   #6
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freespirit View Post
Sorry think it was riveted as the tiny pin has gone out of 2 links but the chains in one piece
If it has left two links with no pin and no side plate it was probably a spring clip as it would be strange for both riveted pins to come out.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-19, 05:18 PM   #7
glang

As I suspected it must almost certainly have been a clip link so youve learnt the same valuable lesson I did a few years ago (fortunately also without injury). Never, ever use these except, if necessary, to go a short distance to a mechanic to get a rivet link put in!
Old 03-07-19, 05:31 PM   #8
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by glang View Post
As I suspected it must almost certainly have been a clip link so youve learnt the same valuable lesson I did a few years ago (fortunately also without injury). Never, ever use these except, if necessary, to go a short distance to a mechanic to get a rivet link put in!
And even then make sure the open end of spring ciip is the trailing end as the chain travels in the correct direction.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-19, 08:57 AM   #9
shiftin_gear98

Fingers crossed you get off as lightly as I did when the garage take a look.

I was on a dual carriageway - doing about 80 - honest officer.
So yes I did feel quite thankful at the time. I never did find the chain, only broken bits of it later when I was taking things apart. I was aware of not using split links, but that day I also learnt don't buy cheap (ish) chains.

Not so thankful after the 4 hour, 12 mile push though.
shiftin_gear98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-19, 09:59 AM   #10
glang

Did the chain break then???