SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-07-19, 10:24 AM   #11
Heorot

Default Re: Chain came off

My bike has done over 21100 miles and the sprocket and chain have been jumping, so last week I bit the bullet and got the garage to source and fit a new sprocket and chain set. Parts £102 plus 2 hours labour
plus VAT of course. The labour included working on a jammed gearbox and binding front brake.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-19, 11:03 AM   #12
glang

wow you got bigger ones than me! Id be poopin if I had a chain jumping plus it doesnt do the rest of the drive train much good as it increases wear on the cush drive and gearbox bearings. To keep costs down I spent a little on a chain breaker/rivetter and change my own chains very easily....
glang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-19, 11:44 AM   #13
shiftin_gear98

Mine, yeah.
This was all I had left.

All that remains of my chain. by martin cockerell, on Flickr
shiftin_gear98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-19, 01:24 PM   #14
Heorot

Quote:
Originally Posted by glang View Post
wow you got bigger ones than me! Id be poopin if I had a chain jumping plus it doesnt do the rest of the drive train much good as it increases wear on the cush drive and gearbox bearings. To keep costs down I spent a little on a chain breaker/rivetter and change my own chains very easily....
It would jump on hard acceleration. I knew the sprocket was wearing and was going to get it changed at its next service in September as it wasn't too bad. However, I think the chain was stretching too which meant it was happening more often. I was OK with paying my mate at his garage to do it for me as I am totally useless at anything mechanical (I spent all my working life in offices). I'm pretty sure that they spent more than the 2 hours labour I was charged.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-19, 01:51 PM   #15
aesmith

I had a side plate break on my Z400. Luckily in town and at low speed so all that happened was lots of clanking and a very jerky feel. Looking at the broken side plate it seems like a crack had been developing for a while before letting go, then when it broke the other side bent leaving the two pins splayed out. Lucky I only had to go a couple of miles to a friendly dealer who fitted a spring link for me as a temporary measure.
aesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-19, 02:20 PM   #16
Scittyf

Probably the shock of the loose chain on the sprockets finished it off when its skipped.
Scittyf is offline   Reply With Quote