SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-07-19, 08:22 PM   #1
Thaleshwar

Question Painting Exhaust - Silencer Can

Hi

I recently bought pre-owned Remus Exhaust for my SV650s K6; its in black (though more like graphite grey) matte finish, and there are some scuff marks; I did extensive research on internet / YouTube to learn if Exhaust / silencer can be painted, every where I found people repacking (removing rivet pushing back the new filling around), shorting by cutting in half, making there own but "not" a single thing I found if anyone "Painting the exhaust using VHT paints"; there are many mention of painting the down pipe link pipe etc using high temperature resistant paint, but not the actual exhaust.

So I am wondering is it ok for me to paint Exhaust / Silencer can, using hight temperature resistant paint? can there be any technical issue by doing that?

I will really appreciate some experienced advice.

Many Thanks.
Thaleshwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-19, 08:09 AM   #2
shiftin_gear98

Default Re: Painting Exhaust - Silencer Can

Here's a non technical nor experienced comment.
You are unhappy with how it currently looks, so sod it. Give it a go, what's the worst that can happen. It cracks, bubbles, peels off or burns.
You are then in the same situation you are in now. With a zorst you don't like. But at least you'll know and can tell us. I imagine it will be fine.
shiftin_gear98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-19, 08:28 AM   #3
Thaleshwar

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftin_gear98 View Post
Here's a non technical nor experienced comment.
You are unhappy with how it currently looks, so sod it. Give it a go, what's the worst that can happen. It cracks, bubbles, peels off or burns.
You are then in the same situation you are in now. With a zorst you don't like. But at least you'll know and can tell us. I imagine it will be fine.
True... 👍
Old 05-07-19, 09:48 AM   #4
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Shiftin Gear is on the money.I've used VHT paints on cans and even rubbish downpipes.Even if and when it flakes it's no biggy for a quick touch-up respray.

Bodger's tip:

When Spray painting any bit of a Motorcycle,"In-Situ" when you have an empty cornflake type cardboard box cut the big sides off before you throw it away.

You can use these as a quick Mask e.g say you have to spray touch-up the can later on down the line.Just give it a quick scuff with one of those cheap green flat pan scrubs.Wipe off with a bit of Carb/Brake cleaner and holding the piece of card behind the job with one hand then spray-Touch-up.You can quickly wipe any small amounts of over-spray off with a cloth with some Carb/brake cleaner.

Also old knackered plastic carrier bags can be used behind parts as well.I also use an old Plastic carrier bag as a Mask under my Front Master cylinder when changing brake fluid to protect the bike/plastic etc.
Old 05-07-19, 11:35 AM   #5
Seeker
Mega Poster

We'll talk about your searching abilities later

Painting a muffler with VHT paint:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8G3IIQzWN8

Painting an expansion chamber (which is header and silencer) using a paint brush and Rustoleum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN5CZ827j1c

and Delboy's garage longer video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIEzjirqHuc

(he takes it seriously and uses a paint mask)
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-19, 11:46 AM   #6
punyXpress
Mega Poster

In a word:
Barbecue Paint
2 words really, but who's counting?
Old 05-07-19, 01:47 PM   #7
Scittyf

Silencers don't get anywhere near as hot as the headers. I guess the challenge would actually be getting a flat finish to the chrome exhaust.

I guess with any paint its all in the prep work!
Scittyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-19, 03:59 PM   #8
punyXpress
Mega Poster

? It's already black ?
Old 05-07-19, 04:10 PM   #9
Thaleshwar

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4ff View Post
Shiftin Gear is on the money.I've used VHT paints on cans and even rubbish downpipes.Even if and when it flakes it's no biggy for a quick touch-up respray.

Bodger's tip:

When Spray painting any bit of a Motorcycle,"In-Situ" when you have an empty cornflake type cardboard box cut the big sides off before you throw it away.

You can use these as a quick Mask e.g say you have to spray touch-up the can later on down the line.Just give it a quick scuff with one of those cheap green flat pan scrubs.Wipe off with a bit of Carb/Brake cleaner and holding the piece of card behind the job with one hand then spray-Touch-up.You can quickly wipe any small amounts of over-spray off with a cloth with some Carb/brake cleaner.

Also old knackered plastic carrier bags can be used behind parts as well.I also use an old Plastic carrier bag as a Mask under my Front Master cylinder when changing brake fluid to protect the bike/plastic etc.
Hi,

Many thanks for your message; your suggestions are quite helpful, will surely keep that remembered.

Thanks you.
Old 05-07-19, 04:13 PM   #10
Thaleshwar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scittyf View Post
Silencers don't get anywhere near as hot as the headers. I guess the challenge would actually be getting a flat finish to the chrome exhaust.

I guess with any paint its all in the prep work!
Hi, mine is not chrome / Titanium it’s Remus GP and painted / coated matte black (rather graphite) so I will be painting that over. 😊