SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 05-07-19, 10:20 AM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Fridges

I'm unsure whether I've proved a little knowledge is dangerous or confirmed I'm an idiot. I suspect the latter.

I have a power meter that lets me know how much electricity I'm using, it pre-dates the smart meter and I have it set to kW. Over the last few years I've noticed that the fridge is occasionally drawing power but the compressor isn't running and, I assumed, that the compressor had stalled since the fridge is old. I would switch the fridge off, leave it for a minute or two and switch it back on. Eventually the compressor would kick in.
I recently had one of those middle-of-the-night thoughts: "What if the fridge is doing some kind of defrost cycle?". So, I looked it up and an auto-defrost fridge (which mine is) uses a heating element which would explain the power utilisation without the compressor running and it does it several times in 24 hours. Oops!

Last edited by Seeker; 05-07-19 at 10:30 AM. Reason: missed a word
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-19, 01:22 PM   #2
Othen

Default Re: Fridges

Good story (I’m not sure I’d have admitted it to the world)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-07-19, 08:12 AM   #3
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Argos has a video of auto defrost so a lot of people must also ask that question.
https://youtu.be/qIFuWc0dAIw

Last edited by NTECUK; 06-07-19 at 08:15 AM.
NTECUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-19, 08:42 AM   #4
Othen

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTECUK View Post
Argos has a video of auto defrost so a lot of people must also ask that question.
https://youtu.be/qIFuWc0dAIw

Amazing, I thought everyone would have known that: how was the ice going to melt otherwise?

You learn something new about people every day

Old 06-07-19, 10:35 AM   #5
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Amazing, I thought everyone would have known that: how was the ice going to melt otherwise?

Maybe you keep your kitchen far cooler than mine but the cooling/heating of an object depends on its mass compared to the mass around it and the temperature difference between the objects: it would melt naturally albeit much slower than using a heater.

...but now I know. Next will be understanding why the First Law of Thermodynamics is stopping my perpetual motion machine from working.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-19, 10:59 AM   #6
Othen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
Maybe you keep your kitchen far cooler than mine but the cooling/heating of an object depends on its mass compared to the mass around it and the temperature difference between the objects: it would melt naturally albeit much slower than using a heater.

...but now I know. Next will be understanding why the First Law of Thermodynamics is stopping my perpetual motion machine from working.

I didn’t mean any offence. Ice would melt eventually without heating, but the long latent heat cycle would mean the temperature in the ‘fridge would rise quite a bit (depending on how many times one opened the door) during the compressor’s downtime... it might not be acceptable to have the milk at 15c.

All you need to make your perpetual motion machine work properly is a negative entropy maker, that way the thermodynamics equations work perfectly well backwards. I looked on eBay but I couldn’t find one that looked like it might work

Old 07-07-19, 07:50 PM   #7
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post

You learn something new about people every day
Apparently all the ice on the planet will be melting soon.....

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-19, 08:26 PM   #8
daktulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
Can we unplug the Earth when the defrost cycle starts?
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-19, 01:39 PM   #9
Othen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post

... only until the next ice age (less than 10,000 years to go now).