SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-12-04, 09:28 PM   #1
machra

Default Vac-bag - winter storage

Has anyone any info on storing their bike over winter in a vac-bag, (www.vac-bag.co.uk) My last ride will be this week and then the bike goes into my garage till the sun shines.

I normally just cover my bikes with a sheet and but I am alarmed at the amount of corrosion on the thing and was wondering if a vac-bag would be the answer. (Garage is rather damp)
Old 11-12-04, 11:07 PM   #2
coombest

Default Re: Vac-bag - winter storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by machra
Has anyone any info on storing their bike over winter in a vac-bag, (www.vac-bag.co.uk) My last ride will be this week and then the bike goes into my garage till the sun shines.

I normally just cover my bikes with a sheet and but I am alarmed at the amount of corrosion on the thing and was wondering if a vac-bag would be the answer. (Garage is rather damp)
I suppose it may help, although you would have to clean it thoroughly, leave it to dry very well & then it would probably be wise to douse the whole of the bike in something like Scottoiler FS365 corrosion inhibitor!

I personally have never put my bike away for the winter - I couldn't cope without my 'fix' when I need it... God knows how I'm managing so well now, actually!!

My garage was quite damp, though and was worried about corrosion. I can't say I ever had a real problem & all I did was rinse it down with cold water after every ride in the winter & coat all metal parts (except the brakes!!) with WD40. I had also invested in a tubular thermostatic heater which I put under the bike! They are pretty cheap, low wattage & you can even get one just the right size to fit under your bike!! It's the type of thing you would 'normally' put in a greenhouse or garden shed to prevent frost but a friend who is very anal about his classic car suggested it to me... Very good suggion it was too!!!

HTH
Old 12-12-04, 02:24 AM   #3
donniej

Keeping one or two 50-100 watt light bulbs under the bike cover will help keep the moisture away. Just don't be a bone head and set the cover on fire with the light bulb