SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-06-17, 09:40 PM   #1021
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Default Re: What have you tinkered with today?

It does look really cool and of course functional.I made my own as soon as I got my SV out of an old 15" Bass speaker grill I had around but Admin's does look the dog's danglies

Changed my coolant on Thurs.Rode with my M8 Friday and re-checked after the ride.All good.Dead easy job on the SV.Easier than on my old CX500s.
Cooling system on the SVs is superb.
Fan turn on checked.Super fast cool down when initiated.

tips:
1:When you defrost your fridge/freezer save the ice and let it melt and put it in an old Plastic Gallon can or old 4 pint milk bottle.It's De-ionized water and won't cause calcium furring in the a cooling system.
2:If you boil a kettle of water that also get De-calcified especially if you have a metal De-calcifier sponge like I do in the kettle.

Been using this shizzle for over forty years,never a problem

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 17-06-17 at 09:57 PM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-17, 03:47 PM   #1022
ophic
Mega Poster

Also water from a condensing tumble dryer should be free of any impurities. But you can buy de-ionized water from Halfords for a few quid if you're unsure.
Old 26-06-17, 12:42 AM   #1023
Tomthetimthing

Today I fitted my restriction kit ready to get ky SV back on the road. Sadly whilst in the depths of the throttle bodies, I found a freyed throttle cable. Gutted!

On the other hand, finally got my GSXR 1000 shock installed, and my speedo for the gsxr 750 fork swap works great!

Although I am having a little trouble with the front axle. Any advice on this? Its GSXR 750 k3 forks and axle and (silver ones) with k4 wheel

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk
Tomthetimthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-17, 04:09 AM   #1024
Hapo

...oil change @ K3...
Old 28-06-17, 05:26 PM   #1025
Bibio
Mega Poster

swapped out the OEM rear brake line for a venhill. only been putting it off for 6 years its one of those things, 'i'll do it later' even though i have stripped the calliper every season. thing is it only took 20min including the bleed.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-17, 02:31 AM   #1026
Hapo

...sounds like it took more like six years, mate...
Old 29-06-17, 07:53 AM   #1027
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophic View Post
Also water from a condensing tumble dryer should be free of any impurities. But you can buy de-ionized water from Halfords for a few quid if you're unsure.
Water from condensing drier can still have traces of fabric conditioner and detergent in it, as well as plastic fibres, as it is the water from the clothes that is evaporated and condensed, as well as water that has just drained out of clothes and found its way to sump of machine to get pumped back into water container or to drain. Problem is that the conditioner and detergent will probably have a lower evaporation temp than water, and if you use the perfumed drier pads like my wife does they contain heavens knows what chemicals.

If you have a de-humidifier / airconditioner in the house the water from that should be OK.

There is a difference between distilled and de-ionised water, distilled water is chemically and electrically balanced as still has all its 'ions' (positively charged particles) and should have no other impurities. De-ionised water can still contain dissolved minerals and other crap but is ok in batteries, but if you put it in a cooling system containing mixed metals (especially non-ferrous) it will do its very best to become 'proper water with ions' and scavenge back the ions it is lacking, this will cause corrosion. De-ionised water is cheaper and more readily available than distilled water because it is very cheap to make - just pass normal water through resin filters and the ions stay in the resins.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 29-06-17 at 09:36 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-17, 08:45 AM   #1028
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
Water from condensing drier can still have traces of fabric conditioner and detergent in it, as well as plastic fibres, as it is the water from the clothes that is evaporated and condensed.

If you have a de-humidifier / airconditioner in the house the water from that should be OK.

There is a difference between distilled and de-ionised water, distilled water still has all its 'ions' (positively charged particles) but should have no other impurities. De-ionised water is ok in batteries but if you put it in a cooling system containing metals it will do its very best to become 'proper water with ions' and scavenge back the ions it is lacking, this will cause corrosion. De-ionised water is cheaper and more readily available than distilled water because it is very cheap to make - just pass normal water through resin filters and the ions stay in the resins.
Not entirely convinced as tumble drier water has still been distilled and filtered. Admittedly it smells funny.

The de-ionised water thing is the recommendation written on my coolant/anti-freeze bottle. I think that you would probably be correct if you weren't using additives, but the anti-corrosion properties of the additive should nullify any real difference.
Old 30-06-17, 05:20 PM   #1029
andy650

Why not just fit heated grips? Best thing I ever fitted to a bike, summer gloves pretty much all year round.

Handguards can look OK on a naked, depends on their style. A pic would be good.
andy650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-17, 08:11 PM   #1030
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

I too tried heated grips some years ago,same problem.I now have Hand guards and use Keis heated inner gloves.They keep all the hand and fingers warm.Not super hot but tolerable even in low temps.I always buy my Winter gloves one size Bigger to accommodate inner gloves.

Also core body temperature is important so I have a homemade heated breastplate made out of stiff Bubble wrap with a couple of flat cheap heat pads on it and tuck it under my jumper.All powered through wires run through my Riding jacket.

Cold Weather food tip.Have a bowl of porridge(I use those quick Sachet ones) if you are going out for a Winter ride/commute.Porridge is a slow release food and will keep the core body temp up for hours

HTH

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 30-06-17 at 08:15 PM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote