SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-01-12, 10:31 PM   #1
COTTY

Default hyosung

are hyosung 650 any good and are many parts the same e.g engine.Has any one raced one ......
Old 03-01-12, 12:11 PM   #2
Steve_God
Mega Poster

Default Re: hyosung

From reviews I've heard about them, they are a very similar design, but made with poorer quality materials, and with lower levels of reliability.

There are many people who rate them highly for being great value for money for what you get - but also many reports of structural failures or engine problems.
SV650s; K6; Metallic Euclase Silver; Fully Faired; Renegade Twin Exhaust Full System (Stubbied); Full ECU Remap; Fabri Tinted DB Screen; Hamicad Fender Eliminater; Bagster Seat/Suzuki Gel Seat; Fenda Extenda; HEL Braided Brake Hoses; R&G Crash Bungs; GSXR Front-end, Triumph Daytona 675 Front Brake Master Cylinder; RedFox Rear Hugger; BMC F.1 Air Filter; Top Box!
Coastal Tours:Great Britain (for Cancer Research) - 3588.2 miles: Completed July 2007. Ireland - 1466 miles: Completed for July 2008

Last edited by Steve_God; 04-01-12 at 04:40 PM.
Steve_God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-12, 12:32 PM   #3
muzikill
Mega Poster

How many do you see on uk roads? ............ exactly!

The price you pay for a new one (because i dont expect they last long enough to become 2nd hand) you could pick up a very decent sv.
K3 Job c.v: Engine:remove/split/rebuild/refit. Replace:Gearbox,Fuel pump,Gaskets. Piston clean,rings. Overhaul:Throttle body,Injectors,Brakes,Forks. Remove/refit:Exhaust,Radiator,Oil cooler,Throttle,Air filter,Tank. Replace: Oil,Coolant,grease,brake hoses & bleed.

Last edited by muzikill; 03-01-12 at 12:33 PM.
muzikill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-12, 01:45 PM   #4
BBadger

i actually see quiet a few around here.
mostly the 125 and 250 version though seen one or two 650's in london aswell.
Havent heard a bad thing from the owners mind but i know theve been getting better and better with each new model.

think theres a forum for them called koriarider so have a gander.
Old 03-01-12, 03:35 PM   #5
-Ralph-

Can't say I'd buy one over a second hand SV
Old 03-01-12, 04:14 PM   #6
Richie
fantabulas
Mega Poster

+1 agreed with Ralph
Old 03-01-12, 04:16 PM   #7
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

+2 with Ralph

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-12, 05:04 PM   #8
maviczap
Mega Poster

I've read a review of one that one of the mags had as a long term test bike, which repeats what the others said above.

They are heavier than a Sv, plus the brakes aren't as good either. AS a road bike it'd be ok, but as a race bike?
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-12, 10:47 PM   #9
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Surely best thing about minitwin racing is readily available spares and lots of parts bin suzuki stuff, like GSXR rearsets, switchgear, etc etc. Not sure about hyosung.
Old 03-01-12, 11:49 PM   #10
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

I had the pleasure of working on a mates Hyosung a while back and the example I worked on was awful. It was a rust bucket of the worst kind with a rotted out exhaust, rusting frame and every bolt was rust flakes just to make servicing easy. It had a permanent oil drip from the engine cases that required a bowl under the sump. The oil actually came from higher up the engine, but ran down and dripped from the lowest point, which was the sump nut.

Working on it was a pain because there was no manual, but there was a downloaded and translated Web page that had some odd translations.

Getting parts was difficult and the only real option he had was to get stuff bodged to fit if he wanted to replace bits. The weight was a lot more than my K3, which I put down to the steel frame and budget build. However, it did look the part from a distance with USD forks and pretty paint. Up close it was a dog and after three weeks my mate traded it and bought a small Hornet, which he has kept. Says it all really, when a 250cc bike has more power and rides better! Oh yeah, the ride position was horrible and the bars actually fitted into the indents in the tank when turned full lock, getting it out of the garage really made my hands hurt due to the position my hands were forced into.

I can't remember what the engine in it was size wise, but I know it sucked! Given the choice of an old Curvy SV or a recent Hyosung, I would go actually go for the Curvey!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote