SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

2010 Annual Rideout Discussions & info on the 2010 SV650.org's annual rideout

Old 29-07-10, 06:39 PM   #1
-Ralph-

Default Doing the rideout?

Anyone else a bit apprehensive about riding in such a big group of bikes in close quarters? I've seen groups of 25, and occasions on the GM with 50, where riders get excited, swept up in the atmosphere, and are perhaps concentrating on the spectacle of it all, rather than what's in front or behind them?

I know I'll be taking it very easy, near the back, and riding very defensively in a group of that size.

I know I don't have to do the rideout, and I know others who have decided not to for exactly this reason, but I have decided the benefit outweighs the risk, but it still doesn't stop me being a bit apprehensive about it and I'm not exactly a newbie to group riding.

How many bikes are we actually expecting?
Old 29-07-10, 06:52 PM   #2
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Default Re: Doing the rideout?

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
Anyone else a bit apprehensive about riding in such a big group of bikes in close quarters?
I have to say that yes I am a little. Like you I wont have ridden in a group this big, although I have done plenty of bigger group rides on AR08 & AR09.

I think though that as long as everybody on the ride, rides sensibly and leaves each other room and space, we'll all be OK, I've found on most org rides everybody in the majority behaves themselves and I've got no reason to think that AR10 wont be any different in that respect.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-10, 07:03 PM   #3
metalangel

I am very nervous tbh, both because it'll be 364 days since my off and my first proper rideout in a group since then. I don't ride that fast anyway so I will likely be at the back of the back with only the Tail End Charlie for company.

Just a question, is there a map of the route anyway? Hovis would always draw it up in Google maps so you'd see what you were getting yourself into.

Last edited by metalangel; 29-07-10 at 07:06 PM.
Old 29-07-10, 07:08 PM   #4
timwilky
Mega Poster

I ain't a fast rider, but I do like a loon when the opportunity arises. I therefore see no reason why dedicated meet up points should not be identified and then it is upto the individual, do they want to play follow my leader or perhaps have a more spirited ride and a longer rest period at the meet points etc. and first dabs at the grub

OK I know I am the voice of dissent on this. I think it a valid argument, but the AR becomes personal fiefdoms to some and everybody must conform.
Old 29-07-10, 07:20 PM   #5
Specialone

Col, i will be with at the back lol
If my wife decides to do the rideout i will be even slower than normal, with a pillion on the back of the sprint it is very heavy and it takes a lot of effort and distance to stop from speed without clair headbutting me in the back and crapping herself.
She, like me will wanna take in the views like i will.
Ill be keeping my distance as ill be riding with a lot of people i dont know yet so dont know how they ride, i dont want someone slamming their anchors on coming up to a corner and me being too close.
I suspect a good proportion of the ride will be slow anyway with that amount of bikes.
I must admit i did toy with the idea of not doing the rideout as my shoulder is giving me grief still, but ibuprofen will sort that hopefully.

Cant wait now, im excited
Old 29-07-10, 07:29 PM   #6
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Riding with 200 others is no different from riding with 30 others

You'll only ever see up to 20 in front of you and maybe 5 behind unless you're on a really long straight

But it's more interesting when you can fill a small supermarket car park when you stop...

Just remember to wave and smile to the folks that stop and stare...

Now... Organising a 200 rider rideout... That's the challenge...
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-10, 07:38 PM   #7
timwilky
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lone_wolf View Post
Riding with 200 others is no different from riding with 30 others

You'll only ever see up to 20 in front of you and maybe 5 behind unless you're on a really long straight

But it's more interesting when you can fill a small supermarket car park when you stop...

Just remember to wave and smile to the folks that stop and stare...

Now... Organising a 200 rider rideout... That's the challenge...
Pit stops, a damm good reason to get there first.

We have an etiquette for fuel stops locally, once you have filled, push your bike away from the pump before you go to pay. that way somebody else can be filling whilst your paying. Makes getting though a lot quicker.
Old 29-07-10, 08:39 PM   #8
hongman

Hey we cant ALL be at the back!

But yeah, the biggest group I have rode in is with 2 others lol. Fresh license first bike etc.

Will be taking it eaaasy.
Old 29-07-10, 08:52 PM   #9
mattSV
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
Pit stops, a damm good reason to get there first.

We have an etiquette for fuel stops locally, once you have filled, push your bike away from the pump before you go to pay. that way somebody else can be filling whilst your paying. Makes getting though a lot quicker.
To make it quicker, how about the first person fills up, and then the second person pulls alongside, first person fills their tank too, third person pulls up, first person fills their tank, fourth person............................................ ......

Then everyone legs it leaving the first person with the bill
2013 - 2016 Triumph Explorer 1200
2016 - Ducati Multistrada DVT S
mattSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-10, 09:03 PM   #10
hongman

If the person at the pump doesnt mind, I'd just give them the cash (say £10 or £15) depending on how empty I am, and they can fill meup !