SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 29-11-18, 10:02 AM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Condensation

My bike lives in a concrete single garage with a corrugated asbestos roof (looks like asbestos, anyway), it shares this with my car. The garage has an up-and-over door which isn't sealed, the concrete panels have gaps so air should be able to circulate.
I have a problem with condensation forming on the bike, so much forms that it drips off and makes small puddles.

Positioning the bike at the front or rear of the garage makes no difference and oddly, the car (body) does not pick up any condensation (I haven't opened the bonnet).
I tried covering it with a sheet and that didn't help so I put a small (6in) low voltage fan on a timer pointing at the bike, it ran every 2 hours for 15 mins. Didn't help.
Yesterday, I set up a larger desk fan and the low voltage fan and ran them all night (collectively they use about 30W), that seems to have worked, there was no condensation on the bike, but there was some on the car's tailgate which was nearest the door.

I've browsed and from what I see the solutions are:
1) increase airflow (which is what I've done)
2) raise the temperature of the garage (mine's a sieve, it would be expensive)
3) stick it in a vacuum bag (too much hassle - I still ride on dry days)

Does anyone else have the same problem, if so what have you tried? (yes, R1ffR4ff I know about ACF50 )
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-18, 10:08 AM   #2
ophic
Mega Poster

Default Re: Condensation

Dehumidifier.
These are expensive and use lots of electricity but you can get passive types which might help. Basically they're socks full of bentonite and absorb moisture. I think you can stick them in the oven or on a radiator to dry them out and reuse.

Get some old socks and some bentonite cat litter and see if it works. Minimal investment.

Or save all the bags of silica gel that come in packaged stuff and use those.
Old 29-11-18, 10:22 AM   #3
Fen Tiger

I reckon you need to try for a flow of air from one end of the garage to the other. Helped my unheated garage when I put an air brick into the wall furthest from the door (which has a good gap underneath). This may be more difficult to do with concrete panels.
Fen Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-18, 10:27 AM   #4
Fen Tiger

Just another thought. Fix any rain water leaks which are coming into the space if you have any.
Old 29-11-18, 10:38 AM   #5
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

If you have space get one of those ride-in bike covers which folds over the bike. Then put a small thermostat heater inside it. Shouldn't use too much power as the cover will keep the heat in
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-18, 11:10 AM   #6
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Running a dehumidifier in the garage means you will actually be trying to dry out the whole world, likewise using a heater means you will be warming the world. Those asbestos style roofs tend to absorb water and will let it back out when temperature changes ( and when the sun shines on them they let water back out ). A waterproof cover weighted down at the bottom edge and cat litter in socks ( which can be re-activated in an oven) like ophic suggested may be the cheapest option. Try increasing the ventilation near the roof as when air gets warm it absorbs water and rises ( that is why clouds are up in the air and not at ground level LOL, and also makers of dehumidifiers recommend you put them upstairs in your house to be most effective ) if you can get rid of warmer humid air from upper part of garage it may help a lot.

Whatever you do don't use a gas heater in the garage, burning gas produces loads of water ( and carbon monoxide ).

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 29-11-18 at 11:16 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-18, 11:56 AM   #7
punyXpress
Mega Poster

Don't put a wet car in with your bike ?
Old 29-11-18, 12:54 PM   #8
Fen Tiger

The roof is corrugated so I could remove some of the sealing material and put a dryer style duct in place. I have a spare bathroom extractor fan.[/QUOTE]

If you get a flow of air going you probably wouldn't need an extractor fan.
Old 29-11-18, 04:53 PM   #9
Talking Heads

Leave the door open?
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-18, 06:57 PM   #10
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Can you change the roof for a different material? Longer term solution I know.