SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-10-18, 05:46 PM   #11
Fazy

Default Re: Back on a bike after 16 years.

Chears R1ffr4ff, your post seems to have turned up late. But very useful information I'll check the tyres tomorrow and see just how old they are though with the tread vs the mileage I doubt there original.
Old 24-10-18, 10:11 AM   #12
Fazy

Deleted found what I was looking for.

Last edited by Fazy; 24-10-18 at 10:15 AM.
Old 30-10-18, 06:56 AM   #13
Nobbylad
Mega Poster

Might be worth giving yourself a 'service' too, in terms of brushing up on your skills. Not sure if the BikeSafe courses are still running, or whether there is one near you, but the first thing I did when I got back in the saddle was to do that as refresher training.

If there are no BikeSafe courses locally, look at IAM or RoSPA in your area (I did IAM and would recommend it) - my local IAM lets you do ride outs with them for a small charge, which includes room-based theory/discussion, prior to an observed ride out.

Good luck and stay safe....the SV is a great little bike to get back into riding.
Nobbylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-18, 07:19 AM   #14
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

+1 on the Bikesafe. I've done it twice and both times really enjoyed it. Riding with the police is a real education. And with the Essex one you get a decent lunch too.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Old 30-10-18, 10:41 AM   #15
Fazy

Great idea, just checked Leicester they do one and only costs £45. Though I have to admit I might need to leave it to the new year as I'm at university I just started a weekend job to bring in some much needed funds. I was thinking of going to see a bike training center to see if they did something similar in the future anyway as I feel I have lost confidence on cornering. Ie speed in and how low the bike will take.
Old 30-10-18, 03:25 PM   #16
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazy View Post
Great idea, just checked Leicester they do one and only costs £45. Though I have to admit I might need to leave it to the new year as I'm at university I just started a weekend job to bring in some much needed funds. I was thinking of going to see a bike training center to see if they did something similar in the future anyway as I feel I have lost confidence on cornering. Ie speed in and how low the bike will take.
IMHO first you need to brush up on observational skills more than cornering. You need to see a lot more of what is happening on a bike than cagers normally notice, because cagers are not good at seeing bikes so you have to be twice as vigilant. Get safe first and forget about ' how low the bike will go in a corner' for a while, that depends a bit on your tyres but the condition or otherwise of the road surface is more important. You need to treat every vehicle waiting to pull out as if they haven't seen you, I would make sure your headlight is on all the time and also get some extra LED daytime running lights fitted, alchemy parts have a good selection. Too many bikers have heard the phrase 'sorry mate, I didn't see you' as they lie sprawled in the road. Be wary of going much faster than general speed of traffic and don't be tempted to filter when traffic isn't completely stopped, many a biker has come to grief filtering in moving traffic.

http://www.dave-brook.co.uk/2.html

https://www.rideforever.co.nz/news-a...our-skill-set/

Enjoy !

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 30-10-18 at 04:14 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-18, 04:16 PM   #17
Fazy

Good god knee down is far too advanced for me! I remember observations check mirrors and don't forget the blind spots etc before anything. But cornners even slow ones. To be honest maybe I am over courses or the roads are just ****. I am just pottering around town over the winter to get the basics frist. As for lights as soon as I switche the egnition is on the lights are on no way to turn them off.

Last edited by Fazy; 30-10-18 at 04:19 PM.
Old 30-10-18, 07:46 PM   #18
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

I'm looking into doing Bikesafe or and Iam course as I'm sure I've picked up a few bad habits in the last few years. I'm sure I'd benefit from riding observed and having a few things pointed out to me. There's no Bikesafe dates marked on the calendars near us though. Might try one of the Iam Sunday taster sessions. Be interested to hear any feeback on whatever you choose if you do any refresher training.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-18, 09:04 AM   #19
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazy View Post
As for lights as soon as I switche the egnition is on the lights are on no way to turn them off.

Normal incandescent bulb motorbike lights not really that noticeable in daylight, the LED have advantage that even a pair of 3 watt DRL are more towards the blue end of spectrum and a lot more eye-catching than the average 55 watt filament bulb ( normal good filament bulb is around 4000 to 4500 K, LED will be 6000 to 6500K ) - first thing I did when I got my 2016 AL7 was to fit a couple of 10 watt LED spotlights on the handlebars ( used the mirror mounting bolts ) - I feel a lot more confident that I am visible now, even in cagers rear view mirrors ( if they can be bothered to use them). Take a look at the rich old farts BMW 1200GS or similar with DRL and see how eye catching they are.

You can get LED H4 bulbs, we have these in our cars and also in my AL7, they are much more noticeable than the more yellow light from a filament.

link below is for a pair, they do sell same bulb as a single bulbs for around £40

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/col...=8239030763615

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-18, 09:52 AM   #20
Fazy

Sorry the delay in answering busy at university. But thank you all for your answers. The bike will be going in for a service in January plus a set of nice new tyres. One question. Coolant the engine seems to get hot very fast ten minutes and it's close to 100c. Going to take the front faring off (once i figure out how it comes off) to check the radiator level make sure it's full. I have had the patrol tank up but can only see the top of the reservoir so can't see if anything is in. Dose it pull out or am I missing something.

And if needed what coolant is used i am guessing it's not going to be distilled water and antifreeze nowadays.