SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Track Days Post up here about trackdays

Old 30-01-09, 09:33 PM   #11
Lozzo

Default Re: Slicks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
But Race exhausts & timing gear are frowned on at tracks so not a stupid question at all.
Timing gear is frowned upon, but race exhausts are fine as long as they comply with the track's noise limits.
Old 30-01-09, 09:34 PM   #12
Lozzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim in Belgium View Post
I've seen slicks and tyre warmers in the novice group too.....
I always use warmers, saves wasting a lap warming the tyres up and gives me some overtaking practise straight out of pitlane.
Old 30-01-09, 09:38 PM   #13
G
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozzo View Post
but race exhausts are fine as long as they comply with the track's noise limits.

and even then most trackday companies and track staff couldnt give a crap. I have had a noisey exhaust everytime I have been on the track and never been noise tested.

Never been to castle combe or cadwell on the bike yet though.....becuase I hear they always noise test ha
Old 30-01-09, 09:52 PM   #14
Balky001
Mega Poster

Quote:
I always use warmers, saves wasting a lap warming the tyres up and gives me some overtaking practise straight out of pitlane.
I thought you were you up to fast, not down to novice

I haven't seen many warmer with novice as they mostly use road tyres, as do most inters. I've been told my different manufacteurs that average road tyres (Diablo, SportAttack,BT014 types, not the track orientated) don't really benefit from warmers as they don't need the heat anywhere like track tyres and they tend to overheat if ridden hard anyway.

I'd like to try some slicks but not sure I'd notice any difference the speed I go
Old 31-01-09, 02:49 PM   #15
Red Herring
Mega Poster

The biggest advantage I've noticed with slicks is that they last longer. I use them on my ZX7/9 (about 160bhp) and can normally get two days out of a rear, where with a treaded tyre I'm lucky to get one. If it's just grip you are after don't bother. Top notch treaded tyres are almost as good and you have to be exceptionally good to take advantage of the extra performance available from a slick.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-09, 03:28 PM   #16
Lozzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balky001 View Post
I thought you were you up to fast, not down to novice
I am usually fast group now, but when I've been off track for a while I sometimes start the day in novice on the understanding that I will move up once I've got my eye in and learned the circuit. I use warmers regardless of what group because I prefer the way the bike feels when the tyres are hot.

Quote:
I haven't seen many warmer with novice as they mostly use road tyres, as do most inters. I've been told my different manufacteurs that average road tyres (Diablo, SportAttack,BT014 types, not the track orientated) don't really benefit from warmers as they don't need the heat anywhere like track tyres and they tend to overheat if ridden hard anyway.
All depends on what tyres. I'm using Metzeler Rennsport road compound and they don't overheat even at fast group pace when they've been in warmers.

Quote:
I'd like to try some slicks but not sure I'd notice any difference the speed I go
You need to be going some to get enough heat into the tyres and retain it. You can get them hot in warmers and then ride out only to find you're not pushing them hard enough to retain the heat - the bike will be squirming as soon as you apply the power and on the brakes. If that's the case you may as well have road tyres. Slicks work much better when being pushed really hard; go slow and they are like riding on marbles.

I'm not fast enough to benefit from slicks and the few times I've tried them I've been disappointed with my riding because they haven't been keeping their heat.
Old 31-01-09, 05:32 PM   #17
G
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
The biggest advantage I've noticed with slicks is that they last longer. I use them on my ZX7/9 (about 160bhp) and can normally get two days out of a rear, where with a treaded tyre I'm lucky to get one. If it's just grip you are after don't bother. Top notch treaded tyres are almost as good and you have to be exceptionally good to take advantage of the extra performance available from a slick.
You only get 1 day out of a brand new rear
Old 31-01-09, 06:12 PM   #18
Balky001
Mega Poster

Quote:

I'm not fast enough to benefit from slicks and the few times I've tried them I've been disappointed with my riding because they haven't been keeping their heat.
Yeah, my worry too. The Corsa III is a decent tyre but I was getting tears in it, not cold tearing but peeling back from the tread where it was working too hard and not gripping enough. I'm using Racetec K1 front K2 rear with warmers. Was wondering about Rennsport as much cheaper deals than the Racetecs but I'll see how I get on.
Old 31-01-09, 07:15 PM   #19
Tim in Belgium

One thing to watch with the Rennsport Roads is that they're all old stock tyres now, they stopped making them a while ago, they may be fine, but just thought I'd say after recommending them a lot in the past.