SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 15-02-07, 03:52 PM   #1
Ceri JC

Default Child booster seats in cars

Saw a piece on the news this morning, apparently the campaign for booster seats to be worn by younger children (in line with changes in the law 5 months back) has been a failure. Many seats are being used improperly/dangerously and many people aren't using the seats at all.

What's the matter, cameras can't tell if children are on the correct sort of seats?
Old 15-02-07, 04:14 PM   #2
Jabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post
What's the matter, cameras can't tell if children are on the correct sort of seats?
Cynical, but probably true
Old 15-02-07, 04:21 PM   #3
Tomcat

As a parent, I am more then capable to decide, from the evidence given, whether to put my child in a car seat.

Obviously I would, and if others chose to ignore the warnings they have been given then god help them. It makes me angry that we blame policing etc for not fining them or whatever.

We have been told that small children are safer in child seats, end of, if we chose to ignore that then so be it .....
This is not a police issue but a parenting issue, nanny state is what is happening here.

And before people say.... mobile phones, speeding etc is different as our choices (to use phones or speed) affect other road uses, but with car seats, our choices affect ourself and our children .... sad but true.

We have had the warnings. ......do with it as you please I say, let the police deal with real law and order issues not bad parenting issues

rant over
Old 15-02-07, 04:23 PM   #4
Ceri JC

Tomcat, I share your POV. I'm merely amused that it can't be enforced as a policing issue (which I don't really think it should be), in part because of our over-reliance on cameras.
Old 15-02-07, 04:25 PM   #5
Tomcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post
Tomcat, I share your POV. I'm merely amused that it can't be enforced as a policing issue (which I don't really think it should be), in part because of our over-reliance on cameras.

Sorry yes I understand. I was so glad for the opportunity to rant that I chose to ignore the humour!
Old 15-02-07, 05:16 PM   #6
timwilky
Mega Poster

Having just bought a child seat for my grand daughters use. I am shocked to think that anyone would consider risking a childs safety by failing to use appropriate seats. It was however annoying that VAT was applied to this purchase
Old 15-02-07, 05:26 PM   #7
embee
Mega Poster

Sadly this Government are the masters of drafting laws which cannot be policed. Most of the laws are very poorly drafted at that, they just don't seem to get the idea that laws should be as precise and defined as possible, not of the "well you know what I mean" variety.

A good example was when SORN was introduced. I contacted DVLA to find out what to do in the event of certain circumstances, did I have to inform them of moving the vehicle from the declared address, what if I wanted to tax it on the 2nd of the month, did I have to declare SORN for one day etc?
Their response was, "well you can tell us about the change of address if you want, and use your common sense about the odd day or two!" I reminded them there was a potential £5k fine and it was their law not mine, so perhaps they ought to have chapter and verse ready. They called me a trouble maker to which I replied with a formal complaint, and got an apology.

On the booster seat issue, I have yet to see what a "booster seat" is defined as, does it have to be to a BS or CE standard, in which case is it one size fits all or are there different sizes for different size/age kids? Can you use something that isn't CE etc? What is the offence?

Nanny state indeed.

embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-07, 05:29 PM   #8
Ceri JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
Their response was, "well you can tell us about the change of address if you want, and use your common sense about the odd day or two!" I reminded them there was a potential £5k fine and it was their law not mine, so perhaps they ought to have chapter and verse ready. They called me a trouble maker to which I replied with a formal complaint, and got an apology.
Talk about out of line!
Old 15-02-07, 05:51 PM   #9
embee
Mega Poster

Out of interest I just read this site
http://www.childcarseats.org.uk/index.htm

Fortunately I don't carry any kids requiring such items, 'cos if you can explain to me in simple terms exactly what you must use for children of certain sizes/weights then you're a better man than me.

I know what they're getting at, and it's all very sensible, but complicated or what?
embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-07, 07:51 PM   #10
MavUK

From what I have read some are policing (Cheshire IIRC has issued 48 tickets saying it's a large issue) others have said they *will not* issues tickets as it's only minor, unlike the pseeding / drink driving that they will concentrate on.

Others have said they do not have the power or ability to ask for the age or height of a chile, hence they can't issue tickets as they have no evidence.

Complete b**** up I think.