SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 02-08-06, 11:19 AM   #1
jonboy

Default Yet more complete madness...

What, no more standing at the bar, supping a well-earned pint?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...295384,00.html

Just how mad are these people? I mean it's only a tradition that goes back hundreds of years, which if there was a problem, you would have thought it would have been noticed by now.

Old 02-08-06, 11:23 AM   #2
Ping

EEjits.

I prefer sitting down anyway but that's ridiculous.
Old 02-08-06, 11:26 AM   #3
Marshall

what a load of CR@P

completely impractical
Old 02-08-06, 11:27 AM   #4
Tara

ridiculous
Old 02-08-06, 11:30 AM   #5
Balky001
Mega Poster

there's been a lot of discussion on this in the City. It's not standing in the bar, its removing most of the seats so people have to stand up everywhere and can't put their drink down - so as its in their hand they are more likely to drink faster and therefore spend more cash and get more drunk. Also you can fit more people in.

We are thinking of removing chair in meeting rooms for a similar reason (not drinking) as it makes people get on with business (and therefore shortens the meeting). No chit chat just straight to it.
Old 02-08-06, 11:31 AM   #6
Jabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall
completely impractical
Absolutely - you can fit more beer inside standing up, which lessens the need to visit the bog.

This will lead to queues in the blokes khazies just like the have in the girlies ones.

Then we'll start going in pairs for someone to chat with whilst were queuing........

Thin end of the wedge.
Old 02-08-06, 11:35 AM   #7
Baph

I wonder if the genius that thought up this idea has ever been to a busy bar, where the queue is about 15 people deep?

Does this also mean that I'm not allowed to go to the bar, order a drink, then go stand in the beer garden, because obviously the sun makes me more violent as well, by the same "logic".
Old 02-08-06, 11:35 AM   #8
lynw

Impractical? Yes. Unenforceable? Yes.

However, in principal I would be glad if it were a "dont stand at the bar" rule. Then short people like me could actually get through and get a drink . People drinking at the bar in a crowded pub annoy me particularly when they act suprised that they are blocking you getting a drink.
Old 02-08-06, 11:38 AM   #9
Jabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynw
People drinking at the bar in a crowded pub annoy me particularly when they act suprised that they are blocking you getting a drink.
It'll be even worse when they put chairs there.

Or have I misunderstood the point
Old 02-08-06, 11:44 AM   #10
timwilky
Mega Poster

oh come on this is Preston we are talking about, the birthplace of the temperance movement. Even the poly here had a dry bar to commemorate the fact.

Totally unenforceable, most Preston pubs would have to reduce their capacity by 80% to enable all drinkers to sit instead of stand.

Just a stupid publicity gimmick if you ask me.

Interesting down the road the Yates in Chorley had a barrier system to the bar, you had to walk down the line, couldn't queue jump and no space for someone to hog the bar.

My own local, sitting at the bar is a nuisance. many do it and stop others getting served, moan when you spill beer lifting your pint over them, and next day they are back again