SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-08-06, 11:37 AM   #1
enzyme

Default Top up oil or complete change

Hi - sorry in advance for the stupid question but better to ask Got my bike serviced few weeks ago and pretty sure as well as overcharging ( well its a London dealer so no surprises there! ) they have hardly put any oil in - its right next to the low line and thats when the bike is slight leaning over . So the question really is - since I dont know what brand of oil etc they actually did put in , or if they indeed did even bother to change it , can I top up with any oil I buy , or should I just change the lot - would rather just top up if I can help it since I have already paid them a fortune to service it - and really cant deal with crossing half of london to argue with them.
Old 26-08-06, 11:44 AM   #2
Razor

What colour is the oil in the sight glass?
If it's still got a nice golden tinge to it, just top up. If it's black as a crow's poop chute then replace.
Old 26-08-06, 11:55 AM   #3
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Whatever you decide always make sure there is enough oil in it.The most common cause of engine failure(bang,very expensive)is people letting their oil level fall too low and breaking the big ends.Put any bike oil of the correct spec in it and check your level frequently.Some engines do use oil and some don't,and some vary according to conditions,but either way check it.
Old 26-08-06, 12:00 PM   #4
enzyme

thanks for the replies - oil when I lean the bike over enough to see is golden colour so I'll just top it up .
Old 27-08-06, 01:22 PM   #5
RandyO

oil on the low line while leaned over means nothing, oil is suposed to be checked with the bike vertical, if you have no stand or can't hold the bike vertical when checking, have a mate help you

black oil does not mean it is bad, it just means it's doing it's job suspending solids and keeping the engine clean rather than leaving the dirt in the engine, any modern oil is capable of retaining it's lubrication and cleansing properties for the recommended oil change interval (3500-4000 miles) no need to change the oil any more often
Old 28-08-06, 07:49 PM   #6
paulthewitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyO
oil on the low line while leaned over means nothing, oil is suposed to be checked with the bike vertical,
what he said. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT YOU CHECK IT WHEN IT'S VERTICAL. - overfilling can also damage the engine.

Paul