SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-12-08, 10:48 PM   #1
RayRay

Default Help me with this possible purchase?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2006-SUZUKI-SV...|39:1|240:1318 that is the link for this guys sv.. its by birmingham though which is quite a way from me but seems a good bargain. i'm not sure what kind of maintenance questions i should be asking though, anyone got any big things to look for. bike looks mint. thanks in advance people! what kind of value is the bike do we think?
Old 30-12-08, 04:23 PM   #2
embee
Mega Poster

Default Re: Help me with this possible purchase?

Have a look through the ads on MCN

A quick glance says around £2750 at a dealer should get you something similar, private under £2.5k I'd suggest.

When buying anything the most important aspect is the paperwork, doesn't matter how nice the bike is if the paperwork isn't legit. HPI to cover yourself against outstanding loans, stolen, crashed/write-off etc.

Consider carefully any imminent costs, tyres/chain/battery/MOT etc.

Trust your instincts, if the seller seems iffy then walk away. Only view at the registered keeper's address, check watermark in V5C document (says DVL all over it when held up to the light), MOT can be checked on-line now, easy things to check. (2006 bike won't have MOT yet)

Last edited by embee; 30-12-08 at 04:25 PM.
embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-08, 04:57 PM   #3
charlie13

+1 what embee says. Paperwork is very important. Have a good look round it and check all the obvious things for signs of wear or damage: chain, tyres, brake pads, wheel rims, etc, and scratches on bar ends, footpegs or casings that may indicate a drop. For peace of mind cough up for a HPI check if your parting with a big wodge of cash.

Have a look at these buying guides for a bit of info about what to look for
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/BIKES/bu...op_10_tips.jsp
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/BIKES/bu...ing_a_bike.jsp
Old 30-12-08, 06:09 PM   #4
Alpinestarhero

With pointy's going for this sot of money, im tempted to

upgrade
Old 30-12-08, 06:16 PM   #5
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Me too.
Old 30-12-08, 06:18 PM   #6
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayRay View Post
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2006-SUZUKI-SV-650-K5-BLUE_W0QQitemZ200292380736QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Mo torcycles?hash=item200292380736&_trksid=p3286.c0.m 14&_trkparms=66:2|65:7|39:1|240:1318 that is the link for this guys sv.. its by birmingham though which is quite a way from me but seems a good bargain. i'm not sure what kind of maintenance questions i should be asking though, anyone got any big things to look for. bike looks mint. thanks in advance people! what kind of value is the bike do we think?
Be careful, this is an assumption (Could well be wrong so definitely check it out and make up your own mind!) but just looking at the pictures and description I get the impression it won't have been looked after immaculately. If he's skint he may well have left it to rot/grind to a halt also doesn't look like he's kept it garaged...and I just get that feeling.
Old 31-12-08, 01:07 AM   #7
RayRay

thanks dave, do you reckon its wise to ask for some daylight pics of more close up parts? he said he'll keep me in mind if the auction doesn't sell.. reserve is £2,400
Old 31-12-08, 01:17 AM   #8
husky03
Mega Poster

take your time and don't get hung up on one particular bike-the right bike at the right price will come along and at this time of the year your not gonna get out as much so don't jump in.
husky03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-08, 09:39 AM   #9
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayRay View Post
thanks dave, do you reckon its wise to ask for some daylight pics of more close up parts? he said he'll keep me in mind if the auction doesn't sell.. reserve is £2,400
If it's a fair distance form you yeah ask for some better pics, if not go and inspect it. I wouldn't bid on anything blind on ebay - you want to thoroughly check it out. Infact I usually go visit them make them an offer before the auction ends and get it cheap. People like a straight up buyer with no hassle if you offer them cash straight up at a tasty price (for you) and say look cash for a no hassle painless sale xxxx much plus you can take it off ebay and not ahve to give them a small fortune in final value fees.

There's a million bikes out there, don't rush choose the right bike at the right price (I accept it's difficult though). It'd be nice to buy from a fellow orger they're more likely to be honest with you (you'd hope) and might give you a good price. I've given fellow forummers upto £300 off what I would have wanted off ebay for stuff before - just a nice community thing.
Old 31-12-08, 07:37 PM   #10
RayRay

i see i see, thanks for all of this everyone; its definately raised some obvious questions now. i'm just so excited about getting a bigger bike. i'll keep looking back at the for sale threads on here. thanks again!