SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-12-06, 11:56 PM   #1
craigk

Default rusty looking chain....

ever since i noticed my scottoiler was empty, my chain was looking a little dry. now that i`ve topped the fluid up, the chain has got even worse. i even got some wd in a container and brushed it on. there is some fluid coming out so it is working in a way but not as it used to.

just wondering if there is anyone out there that may know what may be wrong..

cheers
Old 30-12-06, 12:12 AM   #2
oldjack

I think you have to prime the tubing to remove all the air locks if it has been allowed to run dry, just refilling the reservoir is not enough, you need to set the dial to prime and force oil through the tubing until all the air is removed (you use the filler bottle as a pump).
Old 30-12-06, 12:31 AM   #3
craigk

hiya oldjack. i think i did do that because it mentioned something about it in the manual for the oiler. i remember using the bottle and the tube untill the oil came out the feeder at the sprocket.
Old 30-12-06, 12:38 AM   #4
Razor

Are you using the blue or the red oil?
You should be using blue.
I set mine to prime and then just run the engine a bit.
Old 30-12-06, 12:46 AM   #5
craigk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor
Are you using the blue or the red oil?
You should be using blue.
I set mine to prime and then just run the engine a bit.
its the blue/green looking colour what the diffence between the two..??

it used to work great b4 cause i flung it all up the number plate. but looking at it now its getting very little oil on the inside of the chain bet the outside is going rusty
Old 30-12-06, 12:59 AM   #6
craigk

sorry to be rude but i will reply to any posts tomorrow.i`m off to bed i`m knackered.
Old 30-12-06, 02:03 AM   #7
Davies

Quote:
rusty looking chain....
crap band
Old 30-12-06, 01:36 PM   #8
Stig

Are you sure that the feeder tube is located in the correct position? If not, it doesn't matter how well the oiler works, if it's not directed in the correct position it will do nothing. Also, have you checked that the flow is fast enough?

Blue is for cold and warm weather, red is for hot. Red is thicker a thicker oil than the blue as when it's hot it thins out. If you are using red oil it may be too thick too flow properly.

I assume that you have checked to ensure that it is flowing when the bike is running? I have mine set to about 4 drops a minute in the current weather.
Old 30-12-06, 03:19 PM   #9
thor

Turn on the engine and see if it's working. My vacuum plug came off the cylinder once, so worth checking everything. A bit of light rust on the outside of the plates isn't too bad. If you store it outside for long periods it might be worth spraying on a waxy lube after a ride instead.
Old 30-12-06, 07:19 PM   #10
craigk

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor
Turn on the engine and see if it's working. My vacuum plug came off the cylinder once, so worth checking everything. A bit of light rust on the outside of the plates isn't too bad. If you store it outside for long periods it might be worth spraying on a waxy lube after a ride instead.
where can i check the vacuum hose. the actual resavoir is under the rear seat.