SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-09-08, 06:02 PM   #1
Demonz

Default MOT & Lights

I know its possible to get a dayligt MOT but can someone tell if it is necessary to have indicators on a bike to get a normal MOT or can I leave these off. The bike has headlight, brake and plate lights.
Old 16-09-08, 06:25 PM   #2
ethariel

Default Re: MOT & Lights

If you have the indicator 'switch' physically usable on the switchgear then you must have indicators fitted. Break the toggle off the switch or open the switchgear and remove it and you are ok - I think im 99% right there but happy to be corrected.
ethariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-08, 07:43 PM   #3
Red Herring
Mega Poster

If it's a road bike post 1986 (I think, or about then) then it has to have indicators if it is required to comply with lighting regulations, ie: it has a front or rear position lamp. If on the other hand it is a bike designed or intended for off road use and only has a single seat (no pillion) then it is not required to have indicators. My local MOT tester takes a liberal view on the "off road use" clause and says that my track bike is clearly adapted for off road, ie: a race track, and lets me get away without indicators.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-08, 07:48 PM   #4
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethariel View Post
If you have the indicator 'switch' physically usable on the switchgear then you must have indicators fitted. Break the toggle off the switch or open the switchgear and remove it and you are ok - I think im 99% right there but happy to be corrected.
I think you will find that this is a run on from the bit of legislation that says something like "every part of each system required to be fitted must be maintained so as to be in good working order...." etc etc. It came about because some bright spark argued that when he was prosecuted for having a defective lamp because it didn't work there was in fact nothing wrong with the lamp, only the switch that operated it! It just makes it easier to prosecute a defective lamp, if it won't go on it's broken, the police don't have to prove why.
Old 16-09-08, 08:11 PM   #5
Demonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
If it's a road bike post 1986 (I think, or about then) then it has to have indicators if it is required to comply with lighting regulations, ie: it has a front or rear position lamp. If on the other hand it is a bike designed or intended for off road use and only has a single seat (no pillion) then it is not required to have indicators. My local MOT tester takes a liberal view on the "off road use" clause and says that my track bike is clearly adapted for off road, ie: a race track, and lets me get away without indicators.
Ah ok - Im in a grey area similar to yoursefl then. I take it your track bike has a headlight and brake light too?
Old 16-09-08, 08:21 PM   #6
Lozzo

My trackbike has absolutely no lights at all. If I was to put even a brake light on, then I would have to put all lights back on - this includes indicators. You either have none at all, or all of them in working condition. I went so far as to remove the left switchgear on my CBR600, and fitted a simple cheap horn button in its place and the choke cable from an Austin Metro attached to the top yoke. I've also removed the lights on/off switch mech from the right hand switch block and painted over the markings with touch up paint. If you have no lights you are also required to remove the reflector, it's part of the lighting section in the MOT manual.

When it came to MOT time I took the CBR to a very strict MOT tester to be absolutely certain I was within the law - it passed with no problems once I stuck my SV's Akrapovic can on with legal baffle fitted. Then I discovered that my CBR's Akrapovic full system is actually quieter than a GSXR600 K8's in standard trim.

Nowadays I ride the CBR with the unsilenced Akrapovic can with a piece of insulating tape over the 'Not for road use' markings.
Old 16-09-08, 08:25 PM   #7
Red Herring
Mega Poster

My track bike has just a brake light. As long as you don't have a front or rear position light you are exempt the lighting regulations, and a brake light made sense. I did have to modify the dual element standard light so the position light was removed though.
Old 16-09-08, 08:52 PM   #8
Demonz

Hmmm ok. I guess I will have to go the full monty with lights and indis then as I dont really want the daylight only MOT.
Old 17-09-08, 03:14 AM   #9
Red Herring
Mega Poster

A "daylight only" is exactly the same piece of paper as a "normal" MOT, it's just you get an advice slip to the effect that the vehicle should only be used during daylight hours. There is nothing to stop you going home and putting the headlights back on (like i do for trips to Germany etc) and then riding around after dark, although if you do get pulled by a particularly switched on copper they would probably be able to spot the "no indicators" offence (should be dealt with by way of Vehicle rectification). It doesn't mean you have no MOT if riding after dark.
Old 17-09-08, 07:08 AM   #10
Dangerous Dave

You can have a brake light, my TL track bike has one and runs on a daylight MOT (it has no other lights/indicators).

The thing to remember is, if you have switch then you must have a light that works and if you have a light/lense you must have a switch that works it.