SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-01-21, 10:08 AM   #1
gadget

Default Curvy rear shock swap

Hey all, can anyone tell me if the rear shock rom a 03-06 sv650s will fit a 99 curvy without any mods or chopping about? What are the advantages (if any) of using this shock over the standard curvy shock? Only asking as I have the chance to buy a NOS 04 shock complete in its packing for peanuts, it appears to have some kind of valve on a reservoir ... is that an air valve? If so.. I assume it's adjustable?
It also has a small (flat blade) adjuster too, would that be for damping or rebound or ???.
gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-21, 01:02 PM   #2
glang

Default Re: Curvy rear shock swap

I know the standard shocks of 1st and 2nd generation are different in length by 10mm but what your describing isnt a standard item certainly for UK models. The shocks that are fitted to both versions here dont have a reservoir or adjustable damping so it sounds like maybe thats one for a GSXR in which case the battery box will need modifying...
glang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-21, 05:49 PM   #3
gadget

Quote:
Originally Posted by glang View Post
I know the standard shocks of 1st and 2nd generation are different in length by 10mm but what your describing isnt a standard item certainly for UK models. The shocks that are fitted to both versions here dont have a reservoir or adjustable damping so it sounds like maybe thats one for a GSXR in which case the battery box will need modifying...
Must admit I had my reservations although advertised as an sv650s shock I had not seen one for the sv650s like that, unless it is an upgrade from a performance supplier of course, can't see any specific makers name on it either.
I think I'll pass on it tbh, I certainly don't want something that's an unknown and will most likely cause a major headache.
Old 10-01-21, 06:56 PM   #4
glang

Pity as the original shock is a low budget item so nice to upgrade but the space for the reservoir, unless its remote one, is pretty limited...
glang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-21, 10:56 PM   #5
gadget

Quote:
Originally Posted by glang View Post
Pity as the original shock is a low budget item so nice to upgrade but the space for the reservoir, unless its remote one, is pretty limited...
Indeed, would have been a good upgrade if the reservoir was remote but it's fixed and tbh I'd rather not do any hacking about. As my original shock seems to be behaving atm I'll leave well alone until I decide which upgrade to go for, probably a Penske or Ohlins when funds permit.
Old 10-01-21, 11:47 PM   #6
wsmc549

I have a Penske triple clicker from a ZX6r but it works with both gens 1&2 on the SV due to right height adjustability. HMU when you want to upgrade.
wsmc549 is offline   Reply With Quote