SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 05-08-18, 02:56 PM   #1
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default X marks the spot

the story... while my grandad was in the army during the war he buried things here there and everywhere including in england, germany, france etc.etc.

well seeing as i'm board out my skull i decided to go through some of the old paperwork birth/death certs to which i have found one of his maps.

the map is a canvas Bartholomews of the Lincoln Fens with "X marks the spot" all over it. why he would be in the fens is anyone's guess but hey he was that kind of person.

it could be nowt or it could be something who knows. i'll pop the first X up for those that fancy a treasure hunt

https://postimg.cc/image/5g1guwymz/
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-18, 03:02 PM   #2
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Default Re: X marks the spot

Under the football pitch?
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-18, 05:04 PM   #3
Bibio
Mega Poster

i now remember why he why in the fens due to the xray written above the X. my grandad was in the mobile catering section of the army but near the end of the war it was found out he had TB so the "xray" must have been the hospital where he had xrays done. when they done the xrays they found out he had "cured himself" and the reason given was that he was always sleeping under canvas. well thats the story i was told.

looking at gmaps i see that there is and RAF base called Waddington. i dont know if RAF Waddington was there during the war but if it was it might have been where the "catering" flew from.

now the other part of why he buried stuff all over the place. since he was in catering he had access to lots of nice "goodies" that were rationed and knowing my grandad would have swapped for "trinkets". so instead of being caught selling/trading MOD property he buried it to retrieve later.
Old 05-08-18, 06:36 PM   #4
garynortheast
Mega Poster

I was on attachment to RAF Waddington as part of a mobile maintenance unit when I was in the RAF in the early 70's. I remember getting outrageously p133ed on German beer supplied by a visiting German squadron on one occasion. It was the only time I have ever been so drunk that I have gaps in my memory about how I came to be in a couple of places that night. I didn't eat anything for two days afterwards.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-18, 11:45 AM   #5
Bibio
Mega Poster

haven't a clue what he buried. could be anything like watches, coins, medals etc.etc.

btw that X is just one of many on the map