SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-02-05, 12:15 PM   #1
Carsick

Default Servicing Costs

Hey,

I know this topic goes round and round and round, but I'm going to bring it up yet again.

My K4 needs it's 7.5k service (600 miles late, but oh well) and I've just been quoted £220 by my dealer.
They say that it needs oil, oil-filter, air-filter, plugs and synchronizing the throttle bodies as well as the normal adjustments and so on.

Now, I know I'm not a mechanic, but the servicing book just says that out of those, only the plugs and oil need doing, the air-filter just needs inspecting.

I am going to do all the basics myself, anyway, just because I refuse to pay so much for stuff I'm capable of doing myself.
but my question is, are they taking the p*ss with this quote?

What should I be able to get them down to if I do all of that normal stuff myself and just get to inspect the bike and make the necessary adjustments to get me my stamp?
Old 16-02-05, 12:33 PM   #2
Mogs

Fowlers of Bristol have a fixed price quote see here

http://www.fowlers.co.uk/service.html#

I've just had mine done at the local dealers and the cost was about £160
Old 16-02-05, 12:38 PM   #3
jamieclayton9

that is a tad dear. its more your choice on the oil and air filter. they will try and change it every time because it will keep them in pocket. a fully syn oil and filter is only tops of £30 and air filter tops of a tenner and a set of plugs tops of £15. all the rest is labour. i would say do it yourself its just when yout missing that dealer stamp from your service book it devaluates your bike a bit. you get proper stuck in the middle. good luck iver way. cheers jamie
Old 16-02-05, 12:48 PM   #4
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

Carsick,

Where are you going?

Rob Willsher? Crescent?

I'm sure that my service at Wilshers weren't much more than 120 notes. Can't remember exactly. Parts is about £60 and probably takes 1 - 1.5 hours to do the service.

Yours is a new bike so I would get it dealer serviced. I know it is cheaper to do it yourself (I do mine, but it's old), but you could void the warrenty if you DIY.

Scoobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-05, 12:57 PM   #5
Carsick

Crescent are my dealer. Good place, just dear for servicing.
The only reason I'm even asking them for a quote is because I want my dealer stamp, but if I were to actually pay them to do it everytime I'm going to be giving them half the cost of the bike again over the next year or so.

Even if I do the oil, both filters and plugs myself, he said still 1.5 hours of labour.
I think I'm quite likely to say stuff it to the little stamps, I'll keep a service history for what I do.
I'm not worried about voiding my warranty, since my dad is a qualified mechanic and we'll be working strictly to the service schedule laid out by suzuki.
Old 16-02-05, 12:59 PM   #6
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsick
Crescent are my dealer. Good place, just dear for servicing.
The only reason I'm even asking them for a quote is because I want my dealer stamp, but if I were to actually pay them to do it everytime I'm going to be giving them half the cost of the bike again over the next year or so.

Even if I do the oil, both filters and plugs myself, he said still 1.5 hours of labour.I think I'm quite likely to say stuff it to the little stamps, I'll keep a service history for what I do.
I'm not worried about voiding my warranty, since my dad is a qualified mechanic and we'll be working strictly to the service schedule laid out by suzuki.
1.5 hours??? What's left to do??? Are they going to look at it for an hour and a half??? Give Willshers a bell for an estimate.

Old 16-02-05, 01:00 PM   #7
Mogs

Mine was the last time that I have my bike done at the main dealers. but the warrantee runs out in two months. It costs a lot to get that little rubber stamp. If you don't have it, fate will interveen and you'll need it, get it and fate will ensure that you won't need it.

I'm going to get my bike serviced at the local bike repair shop, 200yds away from home, I could do it myself but I don't have all the proper tools, the local shop will still stamp my book so it will have a full service history.
Old 16-02-05, 01:01 PM   #8
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogs
I could do it myself but I don't have all the proper tools.
You would be surprised how few tools you need.

Old 16-02-05, 01:03 PM   #9
Carsick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs
1.5 hours??? What's left to do??? Are they going to look at it for an hour and a half??? Give Willshers a bell for an estimate.
Throttle synchronizing (which I'm going to do myself, anyway) and general adjustments and stuff.
I'll give willshers a call later. Not got time to get it done this week, now, since I'm in Birmingham tomorrow and got a progress review for work on friday.
Old 21-02-05, 03:46 PM   #10
Roo

Had my 7.5k service last week at Chelsea Scooters in Fulham, labour was £90 plus 2 plugs at £4.50 each plus £10 oil and vat, seemed ok for me as I am lazy anyway and feels nice and buzzy again.