SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-01-13, 12:04 AM   #11
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Default Re: Project: Garage Find

Cheers for the positive comments guys, I thought this would interest some of you.

Ruffy, if you do find anything let me know as it might be on the list.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-13, 12:04 AM   #12
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

While it was sitting in my garage for months on end the more I looked at it the more I wanted to ride it. So I spent some time tracking down parts. It took me 4 months to get a set of plastics. Traveled to London one night to pick them up, a full set, no real damage but in need of paint. I even bought two "rust free" tanks on eBay, but more on that later.

Occasionally I would move it around a bit to see what I could spot on it that was in need. Basically the obvious missing fairings needed sorting. The handlebars, leavers and switch gear had crash damage, plus there was a nice dent in the tank. The wiring was a mess the more I looked at it. The throttle was stuck as was the fuel tap and the chain would flap in the wind. Forks were pitted so I presume the seals are gone, and the brakes need a strip and rebuild. Other than that it would be consumables.

There were two keys for the bike, the seat and ignition were on one, the tank on the other. Putting the key in the ignition was much like throwing a pasty up Park Street so for that reason and the fact I feel two keys would let the bike down a replacement lockset went on the list. The list was getting longer.

Anyway at some point and I don't know when exactly I made the decision to go the full distance on it and fully strip it down to powdercoat the frame and build it back up from there.

So the strip down begins.

Tank off reviled the dirt on the inside of the frame and on the engine, plus the overall condition of the bike. It also showed how small the bike is. the amount of space under there is amazing.

Next it was the air box. The screws holding the lid on did their best to delay me and at one point thought that I wouldn't get them to cooperate. But in the end they relented and I was presented with a very clean air filter.

That promptly disintegrated as soon as I touched it... Is this an omen?

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
Old 21-01-13, 07:39 PM   #13
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

No, it's completely and utterly normal, thus not signifying anything bad, (or, I suppose, good), about your 'new' bike.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-13, 10:58 PM   #14
TamSV
Mega Poster

Awesomeness

I remember your interest in the cost of 2 stroke engine rebuild kits. All now becomes clear.

Have fun.
TamSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-13, 12:57 AM   #15
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Well it is worrying when the first thing you touch falls apart in you hands. But having cleared off the filer (new one going on the list) the inside of the air box looks quite clean.

Can't say the rest of the bike is that clean once the box was removed. It actually took me 5 minutes to locate the screws for the air box clips under that amount of dirt and grime.

The plan now is to drop the engine out. So first remove the exhausts. Fearing the worse from my experience with SV front down pipes I was expecting the header mounting bolts to be seized or worse. Imagine my surprise when they came off so easily. I think it might have something to do with the tar that was coating them. I suspect the exhaust gaskets may have been leaking.

However the rear mounting bolt did complain and that had to be cut off. The exhaust is only actually held on with 3 bolts 2 in the front 1 in the rear. And the rear mount is also a rubber damper. I expect that they didn't look like mine do now back in 1987. A pair are also now on the list.

Once the exhausts were off I could get a better look at them. They are standard exhausts. But I think they have had a hard time. The cans have been wrapped in metal that has been tack welded on. I presume this was to hide crash damage. As for the header section, it has been repaired at some point.

Now as I am aiming for a standard machine I need to think about what to do with these pipes. If they are still available from Yamaha I think they might be a little on the expensive side. As are some aftermarket pipes I've seen, though they will need rejeting no doubt. But these pipes might also be expensive to repair. Alas I have some time to decide what to do with them as they are near the last things that need putting back on the bike, but if anyone has any suggestions feel free.

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
Old 22-01-13, 07:53 AM   #16
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

The exhaust gaskets on LC/PV always leak, that's just how it is - the sun comes up in the east, sets in the west and LC exhausts are always dribbling 2T down the front of the motor. Get used to it.

These are the things set in stone by - insert your deity of choice here - eternal verities that are reassuringly certain.

The pipes are rubber mounted as the motor is on fairly sloppy rubber mounts and the exhausts move a surprising amount, sloppy is good here - too securely fitted and the pipes can crack.
Odd repair to the front pipes, being a stinkwheel the pipes neverevereverever rot through, (lots of lovely oil in there, worse when the pump is set wrong - which is common), so that's a bit of a mystery, crash damage perhaps?
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

Old 22-01-13, 11:32 AM   #17
Doinitmyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid View Post
The exhaust gaskets on LC/PV always leak, that's just how it is - the sun comes up in the east, sets in the west and LC exhausts are always dribbling 2T down the front of the motor. Get used to it.

These are the things set in stone by - insert your deity of choice here - eternal verities that are reassuringly certain.

The pipes are rubber mounted as the motor is on fairly sloppy rubber mounts and the exhausts move a surprising amount, sloppy is good here - too securely fitted and the pipes can crack.
Odd repair to the front pipes, being a stinkwheel the pipes neverevereverever rot through, (lots of lovely oil in there, worse when the pump is set wrong - which is common), so that's a bit of a mystery, crash damage perhaps?
Lol so true. I remember riding home one night from Chelmsford and one of my exhausts on my 350LC came completely undone at the header and was luckily caught in the belly pan. Made for a loud ride home

Chris
92 RG80 (x2!)
89 AR125 - 89 RG125
75 CB200
Doinitmyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-13, 07:51 PM   #18
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Quote:
Well I'm not complaining yet, quite useful in the disassembly stage.

Quote:
I did wonder about the mounts as they are not as solid as other rubber mounts I have seen, but I'm not sure if they will do much damping in that condition. I might powdercoat the hangers so they will need to come out for that, but I doubt they will be to much to replace.

As for the repair, possible crash damage. I know its been down the road but its an odd place to have it. But thinking about it I don't remember seeing anything on the other side as you would think if its our road salt and rust I would expect to see something on the other side to match. Strange...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doinitmyway View Post
I remember riding home one night from Chelmsford and one of my exhausts on my 350LC came completely undone at the header and was luckily caught in the belly pan. Made for a loud ride home
Threadlock is now on the list, thanks.

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
Old 22-01-13, 10:03 PM   #19
TamSV
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel_hunter View Post
Threadlock is now on the list, thanks.
Good plan. If it's anything like the RGV then threadlock everything. EVERYTHING.
TamSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-13, 10:27 PM   #20
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel_hunter View Post
I did wonder about the mounts as they are not as solid as other rubber mounts I have seen, but I'm not sure if they will do much damping in that condition. I might powdercoat the hangers so they will need to come out for that, but I doubt they will be to much to replace.
Check the engine mounts too - they get good 'n sloppy too. Specially if they're received a good dousing with oil.