SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-03-19, 04:26 PM   #1
60-80

Question Electrical output

I want to add driving LEDs and a headlight modulator to my 2018 SV650.

The user manual rates the battery at 36Kc(10Ah)/10 HR, meaning 10 amps per hour or 120 watts? That can't be right. It's very low capacity.

There's a 30 amp main fuse, though. So that would mean 360 watts. That's more like it, right?
60-80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-19, 04:40 PM   #2
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Default Re: Electrical output

The alternator puts out about 250-300W but I'm not sure how much is left over after running the FI etc.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-19, 04:47 PM   #3
Othen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60-80 View Post
I want to add driving LEDs and a headlight modulator to my 2018 SV650.

The user manual rates the battery at 36Kc(10Ah)/10 HR, meaning 10 amps per hour or 120 watts? That can't be right. It's very low capacity.

There's a 30 amp main fuse, though. So that would mean 360 watts. That's more like it, right?

Noooo: 10 Amp.hours not 10 Amps per hour! So it can provide 10 A for an hour, 30 A for 20 minutes and so on.

I’m not sure how you got to 120W, Watts are a unit of power (Joules of energy per second), so for a 12V system the maximum power through the main fuse would be 30*12=360W (about half a horsepower), that will be a great deal more than you need for some LED lamps.

Does that answer the question?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 18-03-19, 05:36 PM   #4
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Not sure where you live but modulators are illegal in the UK.
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-19, 07:36 PM   #5
Seeker
Mega Poster

The 2016 SV AL7 alternator is rated at 375W (watts) at 5000 rpm.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-19, 10:25 AM   #6
SV650rules
Mega Poster

The amps from generator is an instantaneous output and it could carry on producing it as long as engine is running, multiply it by voltage and you get a power rating, when you add hours or any time to the amps you are referring to the storage and release of power from say a battery or capacitor. What you are saying is that the device can contain enough power to release it at a certain rate ( 10 amps released for an hour ) but what muddies the water is that 10a/h battery can release 10 amps for one hour or 1 amp for 10 hours or for an SLI battery ( starting lighting ignition ) they also have CCA which is cold cranking amps at low temperature ( when most batteries are least efficient ) of maybe 100 amps ( but only for a short time ). And in theory can release 100 amps for 6 minutes.

LED use a fraction of the current of filament lights anyway, an 80watt equivalent LED bulb may only draw 1.5 amps where an 80watt filament lamp would draw almost 7 and the normal filament 55/60 watt would draw 5 amps, this is because most of the output from a filament is as heat with light as a 'by-product', where LEDs use more of the current to produce light with a bit of heat as a by-product. See thread 'changing headlamp on Gladius' in SV talk, Tuning and tweaking' - some really good LED bulbs that I use personally are posted there. If you want extra light from headlamp forget the filament bulbs ( no matter how many +130%, +150% they have ) and get LED.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 19-03-19 at 06:24 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-19, 04:47 PM   #7
Othen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
The amps from generator is an instantaneous output and it could carry on producing it as long as engine is running, multiply it by voltage and you get a power rating, when you add hours or any time to the amps you are referring to the storage and release of power from say a battery or capacitor. What you are saying is that the device can contain enough power to release it at a certain rate ( 10 amps released for an hour ) but what muddies the water is that 10a/h battery can release 10 amps for one hour or 1 amp for 10 hours or for an SLI battery ( starting lighting ignition ) they also have CCA which is cold cranking amps at low temperature ( when most batteries are least efficient ) of maybe 100 amps ( but only for a short time ). And in theory can release 100 amps for 6 minutes.

LED use a fraction of the current of filament lights anyway, an 80watt equivalent LED bulb may only draw 1.5 amps where an 80watt filament lamp would draw almost 7 and the normal filament 55/60 watt would draw 6 amps, this is because most of the output from a filament is as heat with light as a 'by-product', where LEDs use more of the current to produce light with a bit of heat as a by-product. See thread 'changing headlamp on Gladius' in SV talk, Tuning and tweaking' - some really good LED bulbs that I use personally are posted there. If you want extra light from headlamp forget the filament bulbs ( no matter how many +130%, +150% they have ) and get LED.

That is interesting. I was thinking of experimenting with LED headlamp bulbs for my K6S, especially as they have suddenly plummeted in price. Are you able to recommend any particular H4 LEDs?

Old 19-03-19, 05:48 PM   #8
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
That is interesting. I was thinking of experimenting with LED headlamp bulbs for my K6S, especially as they have suddenly plummeted in price. Are you able to recommend any particular H4 LEDs?

If you look at thread 'changing gladius headlamp' I have posted links and photos ( PDF ) of dip and main beams.

Do not buy cheap LED bulbs you will be disappointed - the ones I linked to have the Phillips ZES chips developed to exactly repilicate the filament size, shape and position to give legal beam pattern, one for £40, two for £70 they are less than half price of branded Phillips bulbs and I have been using them in two cars and my AL7 for almost two years.

With single headlight housing you will have to push existing wiring out of the way of heatsink but buy the extension cables and you can mount constant current supply module outside headlight.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 19-03-19 at 06:22 PM.
Old 21-03-19, 05:32 AM   #9
60-80

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenSV650S View Post
Not sure where you live but modulators are illegal in the UK.
Really? They're allowed throughout the US by federal law.
60-80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-19, 09:18 AM   #10
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60-80 View Post
Really? They're allowed throughout the US by federal law.
Yeah maybe, but not in UK............

Any flashing light excepting directional turn signals is illegal in UK, Because emergency vehicles rely on them. See section 13 of attached. Your vehicle will fail an MOT if any light that is supposed to does not show a steady light. IIRC flashing lights on pushbikes are illegal but I suppose they are better than no light at all and are not common compared to motor vehicles.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1...howsteadylight

Last edited by SV650rules; 21-03-19 at 09:20 AM.