SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Ancillaries Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on various other bits and bobs, such as rearsets, oil, engine bits.

Old 06-04-14, 06:54 PM   #1
JulesW

Default Video Cams

What are motorcycle mounted/helmet mounted video cameras would you folks recommend ?

Some uploads on youtube are excellent and the rider can be heard very clearly with minimal wind noise.

How are users reducing wind noise to almost nothing?
Old 06-04-14, 06:58 PM   #2
Tomor
Mega Poster

Default Re: Video Cams

I have drift ghost HD. Wind noise from internal mic is horrendous, would highly recommend the external Mic. Cameras have been done a few times on here, and it usually an argument between the owners sticking up for what they have bought. Do a quick search and you will find a few threads.
Old 06-04-14, 07:23 PM   #3
PyroUK
Mega Poster

Default Video Cams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomor View Post
I have drift ghost HD. Wind noise from internal mic is horrendous, would highly recommend the external Mic. Cameras have been done a few times on here, and it usually an argument between the owners sticking up for what they have bought. Do a quick search and you will find a few threads.

Same but I have the ghost s.

At the mo I don't have a separate mic so get bad wind noise, mic can be added but loses waterproofing.
Old 07-04-14, 11:10 PM   #4
ZER0

I also have the Drift HD Ghost S.

More than happy with the quality of video. It's stunning. And really easy to use and set up. Just bought the external mic to solve the wind noise.

Much better sound. There is still wind noise above 50mph, but that's probably down to my helmet! Just playing with different positions and sensitivity for the mic now. All trial and error, one position had really clear voice but loud breathing. Moved it higher up the cheek pad but really faint voice and no breathing. Placed it closer to the original place again now but with a lower setting, I'll see what it sounds like next time I get out.

Also looking at installing a USB socket on the bike, so I can plug it in for longer rides. Although I have no idea where to start with that

Would recommend the camera though.
Old 07-04-14, 11:14 PM   #5
PyroUK
Mega Poster

Default Video Cams

Zero,

Do you only use the mic in the dry or have you encountered any rain whilst using it? If so how did it fare?

Also with the mic in the helmet does it pick up the bike and traffic etc?
Old 08-04-14, 08:53 AM   #6
ZER0

Hi Pyro - I've only had the mic a week and only done the two trips. And they were both in dry weather. I'd be happy to use it if caught in a shower, but not if it was chucking it down.

And it does still pick up the exhaust note at low/town riding speeds. It sounds lovely as there is no wind noise to mask it. I didn't pay any attention to other traffic noise so can't answer that bit.

But like I said, there is still a lot of wind noise at high speeds. Nothing like when using the internal mic, but enough to drown out other noise. But I'm guessing that's to do with mic position and a noisy helmet. (I have a Nitro helmet. 5* Shark rating, but only cost £80. So probably not the quietest)

Last edited by ZER0; 08-04-14 at 09:01 AM.
Old 08-04-14, 09:10 AM   #7
PyroUK
Mega Poster

Default Video Cams

Cheers Zero,

Might invest in one then
Although I will have to make a conscious effort not to talk/sing/hum to myself!! Haha
Old 08-04-14, 03:37 PM   #8
Tomor
Mega Poster

Pyro, give me a pm.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Old 08-04-14, 03:44 PM   #9
PyroUK
Mega Poster

Default Video Cams

Done