SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 17-04-14, 01:38 PM   #31
TamSV
Mega Poster

Default Re: Road Rage - Do you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroUK View Post
Think this works now:

http://youtu.be/P6aFSAqrWs4
Ah the old Signal, Manoeuvre, Mirror technique.

I'm surprised you were annoyed about that TBH - it's pretty run of the mill surely? I don't get the whole road rage thing at that sort of level.
TamSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-14, 05:15 PM   #32
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

If you want road rage, try riding big bikes around Thailand, I thought I had it bad in England, but this place is mental! Minivan drivers here pick up tourists and drop them off in various places which they charge for, the more trips they can do the more money they can earn. The downside to this is that they drive like complete loons, they tailgate horrendously, they go through red lights and the speed they go at would leave British drivers agape.

The other hazard here is the scooters, the riders wear no protective gear, flip flops and will often have a mobile pressed to their ear. While doing this they will pull out of junctions with out looking, ride the wrong way down one way streets, ride the wrong up the wrong side of the road, go through red lights, stop suddenly for no reason in the middle of the road, swerve violently across several lanes so that they can park.

Yesterday Carol and I were both nearly killed between two minivans and a 4x4. The first Van came up behind me at great speed and sat so close to my back wheel, I felt like I could converse with the passengers in the van! As he drew up at close to one and a half feet from my wheel he started to get impatient. I was already doing 85KM/H in a 50 zone and in the outside over taking lane passing by slow moving commercial vans.

However another minivan cut through the chaos and drew up next to Carol and I. With the one behind me almost chewing my rear tyre and another next to me, I had no where to go but forwards and sat in front of Carol and I was a large white 4x4.

As the rear minivan started to get aggressive, the van next to us changed lanes. The driver was on the phone and did not even look sideways as he came close to crushing us against the armco. Luckily the 4x4 indicated and changed lanes nearly crashing into another minivani, I managed to get away from the sideways moving minivan with only half a foot to spare and move into the space left by the 4x4, where upon we gave it beans and shot up to 150KM/H just to get us out of danger. The rear Minivan chased after us and I swear that if he had pulled over, I could have punched my way through the glass to him.

We sat on the side of the road for a while trying to relax and prepare for the last four miles. When we did head off we discovered that they have put speed ramps onto the major approach road with a high speed limit across them!

Yet strangely, I have not seen a single act of road rage since being here, they must be doing something right! mind you if they try to kill me again, Imay not be able to maintain my cool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-14, 05:48 PM   #33
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Yep the roads in Thailand are absolutely mental but no road rage in evidence that I've seen. I love riding in the cities and playing traffic light GP on the count down against the scooters on the ER6.

I had 3 super cars cut me up as they raced each other along Piccadilly on Saturday night. My colleague did find it amusing that after they pulled up I chased them down, rolled down the window and wouldn't move my car until I'd told them in some detail just how tiny their penises must be if they felt the need to drive in such a way while holding thumb and forefinger 3mm apart.

I was going to smear Cadbury caramel into their leather interior but Chris wouldn't let me as he said it was a waste of good chocolate.

Last edited by Littlepeahead; 17-04-14 at 05:50 PM.
Littlepeahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-14, 08:01 PM   #34
PyroUK
Mega Poster

Default Road Rage - Do you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamSV View Post
Ah the old Signal, Manoeuvre, Mirror technique.

I'm surprised you were annoyed about that TBH - it's pretty run of the mill surely? I don't get the whole road rage thing at that sort of level.

Thankfully not that run of the mill, but either way it don't make it right! Haha
Old 17-04-14, 09:59 PM   #35
Mrs DJ Fridge

I did get close to road rage yesterday, I was driving the lorry on a roundabout as I went past the exit before mine I started to indicate left at which point this stupid woman put her foot down and pulled out in front of me then sat in the left hand lane so that I could not pull over. Please note it was a large roundabout with big islands on each exit so there is time (in a lorry) to indicate as you go past the off and they can see your indicators before pulling out in front of you. I had livestock on board so no sudden moves remember, when I blew my horn at her the stupid cow blocked my lane and mouthed obscenities at me, end result roundabout brought to a halt whilst we all wait for her to extract herself from the position she had put herself into. Not scary like Jayne's experience but very annoying because she was just being rude because I was driving a lorry.
Old 21-04-14, 09:24 AM   #36
CharleyFarley

Default Road Rage - Do you?

Laugh rather than rage.......
3 HGVs/45ft containers, all tipped Livingstone n 'running South' M8/M74........all mates on CB radios.....
M8 heavy traffic, getting towards M74 split, spotted a **** in a 911 weaving all over the place/undertaking/all over all 4 lanes.........
All 3 of us talking about 'this F@&*# idiot'.......he somehow ended up next to 2nd wagon at the M74 split.
"Closed" in on him so he had no where to go.......indicating right as he wanted M8N (west)........took him down M74 South slip...........
Kept him 'pinned in' all way to Bellshill exit.........
Much horn-blowing/gesticulating/laughing..........

"Gas it w###a".........

Last edited by CharleyFarley; 21-04-14 at 02:23 PM.
Old 22-04-14, 05:10 PM   #37
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

The road rage is now gone because I am in the rain forest at Khao Sok resting having been at Phuket Bike Week and the traffic here is so much more relaxed. Pick up trucks full of workers from the rubber plantations who wave and cheer as they go past us seems to be the norm now. We shall see how Takua Pa is on Thursday when I have to go to hospital to have some stitches taken out. Not sure that I will be taking the bike, I am liable to be a bit punch happy after that and could get into some real trouble when I get cut up on the road and get angry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-14, 01:16 PM   #38
RJohnny

Most of my rage comes from using bus lanes during restricted hours (so only buses, bikes, motorbikes, taxi allows) only to have various vehicles trying to make love with the rear or right side of me, or just cutting in front of me with no sense of awareness or indication.

Can't say I've had any dangerous incidents or near misses, but if something drastic were to happen then I'd likely kick off and have very loud, but polite, words with hints of sarcasm.

On a lighter note do you think everyone could learn from Ethiopia...? http://twistedsifter.files.wordpress...deo-aerial.jpg

Bike ~ Silver SV650S K4 - twin oval exhaust for added vroom

YouTube channe
l ~ https://www.youtube.com/user/BristolJohnny

Last edited by RJohnny; 30-04-14 at 01:17 PM.
RJohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-14, 10:11 PM   #39
Red Herring
Mega Poster

It's just not worth getting worked up about. Statistically half the drivers out there are below average, and trust me the average ain't that good to start with! Rise above it, you'll feel a whole lot better for it.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-14, 12:36 AM   #40
BanannaMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
It's just not worth getting worked up about. Statistically half the drivers out there are below average, and trust me the average ain't that good to start with! Rise above it, you'll feel a whole lot better for it.

+1

No, just no.
Retaliating is just escalating the situation.
I either slow down or speed up depending and distance myself from the idiot.
And yes the road is full of them.
As RH says, just not worth getting worked up over.

"The Mountains are calling and I must go"

BanannaMan is offline   Reply With Quote