SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-03-05, 04:24 AM   #1
Shooter

Default Have to change my Poll vote - had an off today

Front Braker now has to add vote as :"Front Braker mostly - had an off"

Dont think what ever brake I used would have made a difference - it was going to happen anyway.

Car in left lane , me in right lane. He pulls impromptu u-turn right in front. No indicator and no look - I could see him in his wing mirror.

I hit the brake(s) and put the bike down on it side. Crash bang - down. Don't think I had much time to think of a better option at the time but it seemed to work better than the T-bone option might have been. Low speed maybe 25 mph (45kmh) luckily. All I could see was the gaping mouth of the gap between the wheels under his door sill coming at me (& my legs). The bike must have rotated on its side because I just knew he was going to run over my elbow with his rear wheel and he did.

Anyway - he admitted his fault and he did not see me (surprise ,surprise) and was a decent bloke about it all. Witness saw it and was most helpful.
(Parking Warden got a bit interested in why my bike was facing the wrong way in the kerb on the wrong side of the road but we sorted him)

Me - I've got sore knees, a very sore left elbow, a grazed right knee and ankle and was a bit shaky for an hour or two. Not too bad but...

the thing is... I was riding the dealers loaner - a GSX 600( my SV was in for its 12000km service). OOPS.

They are o.k with it and we will get it sorted on the drivers insurance. Still looks a bit expensive tho.
(Watch this space !)

Very pleased I was wearing a motorcycle jacket with armour. I even felt the wheel compress my elbow armour briefly. Pity I did not have my draggin jeans on because I may have avoided the small grazes also.

Jacket copped a small tear on the seam near my right wrist somehow ?
Old 01-03-05, 06:41 AM   #2
mysteryjimbo

Default Re: Have to change my Poll vote - had an off today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter
They are o.k with it and we will get it sorted on the drivers insurance. Still looks a bit expensive tho.
(Watch this space !)

Very pleased I was wearing a motorcycle jacket with armour. I even felt the wheel compress my elbow armour briefly. Pity I did not have my draggin jeans on because I may have avoided the small grazes also.

Jacket copped a small tear on the seam near my right wrist somehow ?
That sounds similar to mine just over a year ago. Except the car driver was pulling out of a car park and was an Ar5e.

I had a tear on my right wrist too! No idea how.
Old 01-03-05, 07:48 AM   #3
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

Oooch! Hope everything gets sorted ok Shooter!

Scoobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-05, 08:07 AM   #4
Stig

Bad luck m8. But if your gonna have an off the best one to have is on someone else's bike and not your fault. Glad your injuries are not more than they could possibly have been.
Old 01-03-05, 08:32 AM   #5
Flamin_Squirrel

Old 01-03-05, 09:34 AM   #6
embee
Mega Poster

Ouch.

Glad you escaped as well as you did.

Remember a bike is just a bike, but it was definitely better it was just the Dealers and not just yours!
embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-05, 09:51 AM   #7
BillyC
Mega Poster

Another squashed arm! Join the club!

Seriously dude... get yourself looked at, even if you think you're fine. Get someone to check your elbow out, armour or no armour. There's a lot going on around there.
Old 01-03-05, 09:52 AM   #8
SPUD

you did the right thing in laying it down i'd say.
hope all's o.k
Old 01-03-05, 10:06 AM   #9
jonboy

So glad you're okay, that must have been somewhat nasty. At least the bugger didn't run off and he's admitting liability.

As for the traffic warden... words fail me.

Heal soon.

Old 01-03-05, 11:54 AM   #10
Ed

Nasty. Just glad you weren't seriously hurt. Get yourself down the hospital for a check, even if you feel OK. Heal up quick, my friend