SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-10-08, 11:20 PM   #1
monkey

Default Dealer service history/DIY servicing. Discuss

Here's one for you all to chew over.

My Daytona will be due it's second official Triumph service soon and I'm wondering what peoples general thoughts are on genuine service history and re-saleability etc.

I'll get this one done so I don't invalidate the remaining warranty.
Old 19-10-08, 11:31 PM   #2
El Saxo

Default Re: Dealer service history/DIY servicing. Discuss

I had everything done by the dealer while in warranty, just so I had the dealer stamp in the service book, but now I'm doing my own servicing I'm just making sure to keep the receipts for oil, filter, sparkplugs etc so that a prospective buyer will hopfully see the bike has still been serviced regularly and generally looked after (although it really needs a wash at the moment! :lol). I'm still having the bigger jobs done by a dealer/mechanic too e.g. the valve clearances and naturally keeping any receipts for those too.

If I was buying a bike I'd be happy to buy one that had been self-serviced as long as there was evidence the owner had been thorough and wasn't a complete numpty.
Old 19-10-08, 11:35 PM   #3
metalmonkey

Hey Darren similar situation as me, I just did the 8000 miles service my self as its not that complex really....

With Suzuki long as its done right it wouldn't invlidate the warranty, so no problem there, just long as the right part are used then there is no problem.

I have no idea how they charge for it, the last place I took the bike too put in the wrong oil, put too much in and really didn't do that much. So I'm happy to do it myself, at least I know whats happened to my bike. When I need to do more complex things, then I'll ask for help. I don't think its worth the money really.
Old 19-10-08, 11:39 PM   #4
monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluethunder View Post
With Suzuki long as its done right it wouldn't invlidate the warranty, so no problem there, just long as the right part are used then there is no problem.
Hmmmmn. Who told you that?
Old 19-10-08, 11:44 PM   #5
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Couldn't really be rsed either way as the only way my bike is sale-able is as parts anyway. No way would I pay for someone else to work on it...

Obviously with a bike worth more than 26p it's more important.

In a warranty claim situation you would find it very hard to prove that you had done the work, for example if you were to provide a reciept for oil, how would you prove that it was actually changed?
Old 19-10-08, 11:50 PM   #6
metalmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by teriyakimonkey View Post
Hmmmmn. Who told you that?
I called Suzuki UK and asked them.....As YC said not sure dude, how can I? But I use all genuie parts and the correct oil ect, plus my selcetion tools, though I really want a few more.
Old 19-10-08, 11:55 PM   #7
monkey

BT I'd get that in writing. The way I see it is warranty claims are similar to insurance claims. They'll try to get out of it if they can. Maybe ask a few different dealers.
Old 20-10-08, 06:28 AM   #8
Spikenipple

Except for the initial service (done) and the 15k mile service (9k miles to go), i'll be doing all of them myself. I've also spoken to Suzuki GB and they said as long as I follow the official service schedule and use genuine Suzuki parts then it won't invalidate the warranty. I've been keeping all of the receipts too.

My old SV

South & West Surfer
Spikenipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-08, 07:34 AM   #9
Dangerous Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by teriyakimonkey View Post
I'm wondering what peoples general thoughts are on genuine service history and re-saleability etc.
It won't add any value but which would you pick for the same price, service history or no service history when buying secondhand?
Old 20-10-08, 07:52 AM   #10
simesb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
It won't add any value but which would you pick for the same price, service history or no service history when buying secondhand?
+1 - good for saleability, not necessarily for price.

A number of people who aren't comfortable doing service work themselves won't trust home service - it's why they tend to buy newer bikes too.