SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

South & West Surfers Just for the guys and gals in the south and south west of the UK.

Old 14-10-06, 01:46 PM   #1
Xan173

Default What I learned today...

I know the mobile ones can but I had no idea that fixed "safety" camera's can also detect vehicles coming towards them on the other side of the road.
Old 14-10-06, 02:00 PM   #2
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

They can't.

Or at least I didn't think they could.

The only one that might is the one that can be rotated on the road past Filton Airport. Going fast may trigger it to flash even if the camera is pointing in the wrong direction. I have appeared in a couple of shots going towards the camera at the top of Falcondale Road but am sure it wasn't my speed that set it off or it would have happened everytime I went home.

I suppose it would depend if you had the markings on your side of the road if they could prosicute. So which camera was this?

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-06, 02:14 PM   #3
tigershark

Did the camera flash when you went passed because some cameras have a capacitor in them to allow the camera to take flash pics. At certain times the capacitor has to discharge it's self by means of a flash you could of been going past it just at that moment. This happened to me once when i was following a car and i knew we were going under the speed limit.
Old 14-10-06, 02:22 PM   #4
valleyboy

Sod that.. if a camera flashed at me, and I knew I was below the limit... they wont be finding any film from the camera!
Old 14-10-06, 07:19 PM   #5
Xan173

I'm just glad I wasn't wearing my custom leathers, the ones I had made with my reg across the chest
Old 14-10-06, 07:22 PM   #6
Xan173

Found this on a FAQ

"Q: I have been flashed by a Gatso on the opposite side of the road when driving towards it? Am I likely to be prosecuted?

A: No. A Gatso camera can only catch vehicles travelling away from it. When there is no film in a Gatso, the trigger threshold for a flash is often lowered, and the camera may be set to also flash approaching vehicles. This is what gives rise to the phenomenon you have observed.