SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-09-08, 09:17 PM   #1
zsv650

Default what alarm should i get datatool or meta

just thought i'd ask if anybody has any recomendations or owns either of these i'll be alphadoting it aswell how easy are they to use are they reliable will they kill my battery if not on a trickle charger( i have one i'm just lazy) cheers.
Old 22-09-08, 09:19 PM   #2
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Default Re: what alarm should i get datatool or meta

I've had both and I prefer the Meta. Purely because it doesnt arm itself after 30 seconds. Which is a PIA when filling up with fuel. The meta immobilises but doesnt arm which I find is better.

I had no end of bother and niggles with my data tool. Keyfobs going out of synch and the alarm not responding to the keyfob, but the Meta has been fine and trouble free.

the meta goes into sleep mode, but it still drains the battery if you leave it over the winter and dont ride the bike. The datatool did the same. If you have a trickle charge use it.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-08, 09:29 PM   #3
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

never had anything other than datatool, not had any problems like others saying the battery went dead after a couple of weeks etc, all works, datatools also go into sleep mode like all other good alarms.

I personaly dont like the idea that the alarm does not auto arm, if by any chance you forget to arm the bike and it gets stollen the insurance will have a big problem with you.

i think the meta can be programmed to do the same as the datatool though, the new datatool 4 has many options that the 3 did not have.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-08, 09:30 PM   #4
zsv650

what's it like when you want to do a service on the bike has it got a service mode or will it constantly go off and me need to blip it every 5 mins.
Old 22-09-08, 09:30 PM   #5
appollo1
Mega Poster

I have a datatool syatem that was fitted to my bike when i bought it and it is really annoying as it goes off so easily when the alarm is on and anything goes near the bike. Even a gsut of wind can sett the alarm off.

I'd rather have one on the bike though than not have one.

Definately get a trickle charger.

Last edited by appollo1; 22-09-08 at 09:35 PM.
appollo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-08, 09:31 PM   #6
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsv650 View Post
what's it like when you want to do a service on the bike has it got a service mode or will it constantly go off and me need to blip it every 5 mins.
yep thats annoying, i agree, but you could quite easly just leave the alarm on and turn the movement sensor off if it gets that annoying
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Old 22-09-08, 09:32 PM   #7
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by appollo1 View Post
I have a datatool syatem that was fitted to my bike when i bought it and it is really annoying as it arms itself so easily. Also when the alarm is on and anything goes near the bike it sets tha alarm off.

Definately get a trickle charger.
check to see if the sentitivity wire has been gounded or not, also depends on how its mounted.

Old 22-09-08, 09:37 PM   #8
hovis

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
I've had both and I prefer the Meta. Purely because it doesnt arm itself after 30 seconds. Which is a PIA when filling up with fuel. The meta immobilises but doesnt arm which I find is better.

+1

plus the datatool on my other blade was far too sensertive, you only had to look at the bike and it would go off (i think you can adjust this, but everyone i know of seems the same)
Old 22-09-08, 09:38 PM   #9
Lozzo

Ask an AA or RAC patrol man what alarm he'd fit to a bike and the answer will probably be "Don't fit one, they are all rubbish"

They are the biggest single cause of breakdowns on any make or model of bike.
Old 22-09-08, 09:40 PM   #10
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozzo View Post
Ask an AA or RAC patrol man what alarm he'd fit to a bike and the answer will probably be "Don't fit one, they are all rubbish"

They are the biggest single cause of breakdowns on any make or model of bike.
yup but not everyone is lucky to live in the middle of nowhere for insurance to be cheap, some insurance companies dont even insure new bikes without an alarm, i live in south london and anything without an alarm increases the premium by min £100