SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-01-11, 06:28 PM   #1
EssexDave

Default Triumph Sprint 1050 GT

I took a trip to triumph in Ongar today, and was very very tempted by a new Sprint GT. Looks awesome. The panniers are huge and the topbox soon to be released at 55litres - never be without space eh?

The only downside is this would involve giving my money over to someone else... (yes yes, I'm tight)

I'm aware that plenty of people on here have the ST, so I'm really looking for opinions and whether the GT is worth it or if I should be looking at an ST 2-3 years old.

Thanks y'all
Old 22-01-11, 06:38 PM   #2
dickllewellyn

Default Re: Triumph Sprint 1050 GT

Get yourself a sorted low mielage ST a couple of years old, and use the savings to get a gel seat, some luggage, and a well funded European tour!
Old 22-01-11, 06:41 PM   #3
Specialone

Personally, i would stick with the ST, its a lot of money for a bike that is basically a heavier version with a side exhaust and bigger panniers.

The underseat exhaust is the sprint design for me, so making it a side exhaust was a no no for me.

For some reason i thought you had a sprint already

There are some amazing deals on second hand sprints atm, get more for your buck if you shop around.
Old 22-01-11, 06:42 PM   #4
Specialone

BTW, i got my sprint brand new with heated grips and gel seat for £7500
Old 22-01-11, 06:48 PM   #5
EssexDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialone View Post
Personally, i would stick with the ST, its a lot of money for a bike that is basically a heavier version with a side exhaust and bigger panniers.

The underseat exhaust is the sprint design for me, so making it a side exhaust was a no no for me.

For some reason i thought you had a sprint already

There are some amazing deals on second hand sprints atm, get more for your buck if you shop around.

Nope never had an ST me.

Yeah, I do like the underseat exhaust on the ST. My girlfriend wants to do some more touring, and the SV just wouldn't be up to it, what with straightners, kitchen sink, clothes, shoes etc....

The GT does look quite nice though, the panniers are standard, and okay a topbox isn't, but I thought it wasn't too much of a bad deal at £9.5k.

I doubt I'd be able to find a new ST now for £7.5 with all those extras.
Old 22-01-11, 06:52 PM   #6
Gazza77

Depends how much money you want to spend in part. A 2-3 year old ST will be cheaper than a new GT. As I understand, the panniers are far better shaped on the new GT and the topbox will hold 2 helmets, whereas I'm not sure the ST one will hold one (though not sure on that as I don't have one).

A test ride is the obvious way to compare other than that...

Then Triumph Sprint ST with scottoiler and R&Gs & TOR exhaust

Now Benelli Tornado
Gazza77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-11, 06:54 PM   #7
Specialone

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssexDave View Post
Nope never had an ST me.

Yeah, I do like the underseat exhaust on the ST. My girlfriend wants to do some more touring, and the SV just wouldn't be up to it, what with straightners, kitchen sink, clothes, shoes etc....

The GT does look quite nice though, the panniers are standard, and okay a topbox isn't, but I thought it wasn't too much of a bad deal at £9.5k.

I doubt I'd be able to find a new ST now for £7.5 with all those extras.
Maybe not, but call round some dealers, you never know.
But you will find quite a few low mileage 1-2 year old ones for less than £6k, there are loads about, a lot will have abs as well, something mine doesnt
Old 22-01-11, 06:58 PM   #8
Specialone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazza77 View Post
Depends how much money you want to spend in part. A 2-3 year old ST will be cheaper than a new GT. As I understand, the panniers are far better shaped on the new GT and the topbox will hold 2 helmets, whereas I'm not sure the ST one will hold one (though not sure on that as I don't have one).

A test ride is the obvious way to compare other than that...
The panneiers look massive on the st and gt, except they are not that big inside.
The GT ones will hold a lid just about, the st wont.
But i have a givi 46l top box if i need to leave two lids on the bike, which i dont very often.
My givi box was £100 with the plate, but bought the triumph mounting plate as well, but im sure you could fit it without it using the givi fixings.
Old 22-01-11, 07:00 PM   #9
Gazza77

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialone View Post
The panneiers look massive on the st and gt, except they are not that big inside.
The GT ones will hold a lid just about, the st wont.
But i have a givi 46l top box if i need to leave two lids on the bike, which i dont very often.
My givi box was £100 with the plate, but bought the triumph mounting plate as well, but im sure you could fit it without it using the givi fixings.
I know the panniers on the ST aren't that big compared to how they look, but I've not compared in person to a GT. It was the Topboxes I was comparing with regards to Helmets, you'd get nowhere near getting a lid in ST panniers!

Then Triumph Sprint ST with scottoiler and R&Gs & TOR exhaust

Now Benelli Tornado
Gazza77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-11, 07:08 PM   #10
Specialone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazza77 View Post
I know the panniers on the ST aren't that big compared to how they look, but I've not compared in person to a GT. It was the Topboxes I was comparing with regards to Helmets, you'd get nowhere near getting a lid in ST panniers!
Still better than throw over soft luggage any day