SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-07-05, 04:43 PM   #1
morty

Default I knew this would happen

My 4 year old nephews sense of fun with water got the better of him when he decided it would be a great idea to put our garden hose into my exhaust . I think he must have done it yesterday. I just got home from work and discovered water leaking out of my exhaust. Ive already got it started, most of the water appears to be out of it. Just wanted to know what sort of damage has been done and if i need to take it to a mechanic to have a look at or anything. Also will I need to change the oil or anything?

Cheers,

Paul
Old 27-07-05, 04:49 PM   #2
Cloggsy

Little B'stard
Old 27-07-05, 05:48 PM   #3
northwind
Mega Poster

If it started, I wouldn't worry about it myself. But someone actally qalified to have an opinion will probably be along in a minute...
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-05, 06:08 PM   #4
embee
Mega Poster

If it started and runs OK on 2 cyls and it didn't make a big clonk when you first turned it over (a cylinder full of water ) you should be fine.

Give it a good quick run to boil everything out of the exhaust packing (the std SV collector section is packed).

It can't really get to the oil, but to put your mind at rest, check the oil level is OK and it doesn't look all white and milky.

I once had a 3-1 exhaust on a Trident (old type) which would fill with rain when parked. When you started it there was a tendency to suck water vapour back into the cyls if you didn't rev it enough, which was a very effective way of putting the fire out
embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-05, 06:36 PM   #5
irl_dar

i wreckon your lucky you have a standard can with all the baffles,catylic converters etc,
funny little kid!
Old 28-07-05, 04:05 PM   #6
muddycoffee

Default Re: I knew this would happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by morty
My 4 year old nephews sense of fun ...
... has been done and if i need to take it to a mechanic to have a look at or anything.
Cheers,

Paul
Right you need to get your mechanic to dig a hole in the garden and bury the said brat up to his neck. Then you need to turn the hosepipe onto his head until he's learned his lesson.

By the way don't do this or you might be arrested, although you could tell him you have to do it.
Old 28-07-05, 04:44 PM   #7
jonhunt

check the plugs if they alright everythinks ok or put new ones in. other then that if it starts ride about and dont wory.
Old 28-07-05, 04:46 PM   #8
morty

Thanks everyone, seems to be going alright now. Still havent seen my nephew, knowing him he will blame someone else

Cheers,

Paul
Old 28-07-05, 07:32 PM   #9
SVeeedy Gonzales

isn't there a drain hole at the bottom of the muffler? I'm sure there was one there on my k4 though if he was really letting loose in there some would still have got past it.

Had to occasionally remind our 4 year old not to use bike as a supersoaker target. And the cat. And me...
Old 28-07-05, 08:18 PM   #10
Peter Henry

I reckon the fact it has fired up and appears to be running ok, no real damage done! Probably a good run to thoroughly warm the zorst through to allow water soaked by packing to fully evaporate away.Just keep an eye out for any odd temp gauge readings or perhaps oil light coming on.Have a quick peep inthe oil sight glass to make sure nothing untoward there also.

Dont you just love kids at times!