SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-04-06, 08:59 AM   #1
Daimo

Default Standing Start

OK, when i turn my SV on, i always let it warm up a bit before riding. If i set off too quickly or i let the clutch out too quickly by mistake when its still fairly cold, it lets out a horrible "animal like" screeching from the clutch where the plates are sliding together....

Now im thinking cold clutch, no real problems and it works fine and it only happens once in a blue moon when im too impatient to sit around waiting.

Firstly, Is this normal?

Second, i've got a day out at Santa Pod (ALL INVITED, SEE RIDEOUTS) and i've not had too much practice on getting the power down/clutch out and getting a nice fast smooth getaway. Theres always thats slight hesitation on my part with the throttle (i can't wheelie so I don't feel I could control one if it did happen if the front end popped up (other than come off throttle)...... yet....).

Is there any tips you guys and girlies can give to a fast getaway off the line? Whats a good rpm to hold it at (i.e in my car, 3500rpm is best, any more and it'll want to spin up)....

Im really aiming for this 12.3 @ 101mph

Cheeeeeeers
Old 12-04-06, 09:15 AM   #2
socommk23

mine started doing that after too many miles and a worn clutch.
replaced it with a clutch plate pack that had done 12k rather than 40k and this sorted it proper!
so i think it would be a cluth wear problem.

as for getting off the line quickly....practice!
Old 12-04-06, 10:27 AM   #3
Daimo

Its done 18,000 miles and it only does it when its cold and i go too early without letting it warm up (i.e its usually still on choke).

It never does it on the road when the chokes off/engines warm.

But i've not really "tried" a fast start so after some tips.

Practicing will ruin the clutch lol
Old 12-04-06, 10:41 AM   #4
Skip
Mega Poster

I tried a drag race against my mate and its the only time I haev popped a wheelie - safe to say that my start at Santa Pod will be a gentle one
Old 12-04-06, 10:43 AM   #5
ash

mine does this too, i just put it down to a cold clutch. I got the bike on 8000 miles so it couldn't be a worn clutch.... could it ??? It's now done 25000 and still does it, no worse, no better.
Old 12-04-06, 11:12 AM   #6
Jase22

Yup my bike does that, it's a nasty sound innit? Cold clutch me thinks since my bike has done shy of 14K.
Old 12-04-06, 11:25 AM   #7
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

I cant remember it happening to my bike but i dont have the normal clutch any more, its a Barnett plate set.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-06, 02:13 PM   #8
Daimo

Phew, thats put my mind to rest about the clutch.

Best go get practising then, 1 month to go
Old 12-04-06, 06:00 PM   #9
Steve

i had a old honda once and the clutch was so noisey when cold, i had to soak the friction plates in a special oil.... it never happend after that.. but the noise was reaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllyyyyyyy bad