SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-10-11, 05:36 PM   #1
alfa.rbt

Default Possibly another curvy build thread

So, bought my "W" reg sv few weeks ago with 28k miles on the clock. It appear to be in very good condition for age/milage having a few scuffs and little spots of rust here and there. Well I'm no mechanic but very keen to learn stuff and already changed oil filter and oil it self, adjusted and lubricated a chain after cleaning it (front sprocket area as well) which might be nothing but it is some step for me. All I know it feels very rewarding and I want some more of that . So in near future I'm planing on investing some money and buy some tools. I've been looking at a "halfrauds" stuff and found these linky1 linky2 linky3. I think that would do me if it is not to much for my needs (any input on these will be appreciated). Now please suggest me any sensible mods that will improve or protect things. There is a list of things that's been done already by previous owners like rear hugger, seat cowl, db screen, lower fearing. At the moment I'm thinking of upgrading suspension as it is a bit soft. Any mods will probably take ages to actually take place as my time(70-80h of work a week) and funds are very limited at the moment however it is good to get some ideas . thanks for reading

apologies for any bad English spelling as I come from Poland and still learning your language

Last edited by alfa.rbt; 16-10-11 at 07:10 PM.
Old 17-10-11, 10:02 PM   #2
Serdna

Default Re: Possibly another curvy build thread

To be honest mate she is looking nice as she is. You have crash bungs, lower fairings, rear hugger, exhaust already. To make it look nicer you could buy or make (instructions on here use search) an undertray to tidy up all that plastic at the back of the bike and fit slightly sleeker indicators. You can remove the grab rail on the bike to give it a sportier look.

Performance wise you might want to upgrade the break lines to braided steel lines. This will slightly improve your brakes. Really popular on here is to change the springs in the forks to aftermarket ones. I want to do this this winter. Also some rear shocks from sportsbikes will fit your SV, again do a search.

Something that tends to happen on this bike is when you ride in the rain the front wheel throws water onto the sparkplug of the front cylinder and causes the engine to misfire. It can be quite scary with the engine jumping between 325 and 650cc in the rain! I fixed this by fitting a "fender extenda" i bought on ebay.

A good idea i would suggest for you if you are interested in learning the mechanics is buy a Haynes manual and carefully step by step go through all the maintenance tasks.I don't know what your service history of the bike is like, but by 28K miles it is time to do these tasks anyway.

I'm not Polish but i ride with some Polish guys and they have told me about the polish bikers forum. It seems to be a good crowd with lots of events and meets. There is an Oxford group for sure.

If you in need of help with your bike sometime i might be able to help just send me PM.

Good luck man, you will learn lots. I have. Its an awesome bike!
Old 17-10-11, 10:22 PM   #3
husky03
Mega Poster

lovely bike-just get rid of the rear grab rail, fit mini indis, upgrade front springs and oil, change rear shock then ride her-nowt else worth doing mate
husky03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-11, 10:56 PM   #4
Bibio
Mega Poster

keep it as is but spend the ££ where it matters and that is the suspension. then have a smile from ear to ear when its done. i'm not a fan of yellow bikes but yours is well looked after and shiny.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-11, 10:58 PM   #5
mikerj

That looks like a very tidy curvy, someone has obviously spent a lot of time and care looking after that. Sorting the suspension is a good plan, with 27k on them the standard suspension will be quite tired (assuming they are the originals).
mikerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-11, 08:00 PM   #6
alfa.rbt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serdna View Post
To be honest mate she is looking nice as she is. You have crash bungs, lower fairings, rear hugger, exhaust already. To make it look nicer you could buy or make (instructions on here use search) an undertray to tidy up all that plastic at the back of the bike and fit slightly sleeker indicators. You can remove the grab rail on the bike to give it a sportier look.

Performance wise you might want to upgrade the break lines to braided steel lines. This will slightly improve your brakes. Really popular on here is to change the springs in the forks to aftermarket ones. I want to do this this winter. Also some rear shocks from sportsbikes will fit your SV, again do a search.

Something that tends to happen on this bike is when you ride in the rain the front wheel throws water onto the sparkplug of the front cylinder and causes the engine to misfire. It can be quite scary with the engine jumping between 325 and 650cc in the rain! I fixed this by fitting a "fender extenda" i bought on ebay.

A good idea i would suggest for you if you are interested in learning the mechanics is buy a Haynes manual and carefully step by step go through all the maintenance tasks.I don't know what your service history of the bike is like, but by 28K miles it is time to do these tasks anyway.

I'm not Polish but i ride with some Polish guys and they have told me about the polish bikers forum. It seems to be a good crowd with lots of events and meets. There is an Oxford group for sure.

If you in need of help with your bike sometime i might be able to help just send me PM.

Good luck man, you will learn lots. I have. Its an awesome bike!
Hi Serdna, thanks for input. I've already got a haynes manual which looks like a massive help for newbe like me. Rear shock, fork springs,oil and fenda extenda are the things I want to take care of first. Undertray mod looks intresting also undoing grab rail sims to be easy . Thanks for help offer, I'll probable use some time .

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky03 View Post
lovely bike-just get rid of the rear grab rail, fit mini indis, upgrade front springs and oil, change rear shock then ride her-nowt else worth doing mate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
keep it as is but spend the ££ where it matters and that is the suspension. then have a smile from ear to ear when its done. i'm not a fan of yellow bikes but yours is well looked after and shiny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerj View Post
That looks like a very tidy curvy, someone has obviously spent a lot of time and care looking after that. Sorting the suspension is a good plan, with 27k on them the standard suspension will be quite tired (assuming they are the originals).
Thanks for input, suspension is on the list
Old 18-10-11, 08:05 PM   #7
alfa.rbt

Just looked at the service schedule and looks like I need to get valve clearance checked soon. Also wondering is it worth checking/balancing/cleaning carbs ?? Hmm I have to get some tools soon. Any opinion on tools from halfrauds (links in OP) or suggestions on any other ones?
Old 18-10-11, 09:25 PM   #8
Serdna

I would say that your bike probably will not need its carbs cleaned, depends on how it runs but they would probably benefit from being being balanced after you check your valve clearances. I basicly have the same list of mods as you to do this winter, except im starting from a slightly more tired feeling bike. I rode her hard this summer
Old 20-10-11, 06:37 PM   #9
alfa.rbt

These came trough the post today, hopefully will improve the visibility when dark as the standard bulbs are 'carp'. If these wont help then I will get HIDs. I'll fit them on saturday and will report here

Old 20-10-11, 09:54 PM   #10
Serdna

I have the same feeling about my headlights. They are ****e. Bike headlights will never be amazing buy my friends 2004 naked sv definitely has a better headlight