SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 19-01-19, 06:24 PM   #6901
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
From yesterday, some dodery old bloke crashed his range rover. No one seriously hurt, but the newsgasam because of it. Reporters doing the story live from the scene in the dark!

Count yourself lucky you don't get the regional news, because this story lasted 45 mins last night in my region.

It's still going on this morning
This winds me up too. They hardly mentioned the other driver, apparently he broke his wrist in the accident.
But having reporters standing around in the dark pointing at some broken glass is pathetic.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 19-01-19, 06:38 PM   #6902
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
there is a sense of having tempted fate here. A couple of days ago there was a thread about ISPs and I mentioned that I was satisfied with Virgin overall.

Shortly thereafter my (wired) connection would blink off with a "no internet connection" message. If I looked in the Superhub3 router error log there was always this type of error:

2019-01-17 12:13:14.00 critical SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=40:0d:10:16:e3:7b;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:79:d2:55;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Best case it would blink back on after a couple of seconds worst case (only once so far) the router rebooted itself. This reboot is normal with a loss of sync. but the reboot takes about 5 minutes. (I timed it)

There are always errors in the log, though, even when it's running well, most are warnings but the critical ones worry me.

Virgin are sending someone round today.
The reboot times are insanely long for what it is. Even when it says that it is back up and running you still get huge delays for a few minutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
virgin engineers regularly "snipe" the system looking for unauthorised access, they also update the system an a regular basis.

if your internet goes down and your router is blinking its lights then DONT turn it off/on as its receiving an update. it "should" reboot after the update which can sometimes take an hour to do fully. they normally do this at night but when a critical update needs doing they will do it at anytime.

some of the problems that can happen are people logging into their router to change settings "because the read something on the net" DONT. the only thing you should change is the UN, PN and network ID and PW otherwise stay out of it unless you are qualified. people also expect to log into their router via wifi and expect it to be fast.. ermm no, if your going to do anything then use a wired connection.

something else to consider when using wireless connections. the wifi cards/dongles dont last forever and a lot of the time problems you think are the router are in fact the wifi card/dongle. this is why you should always have a spare "test" dongle.
Damn, you could get a job with them with those excuses! The delays are just as laughable whether it is wired or wireless.

When I was on the phone to them yesterday I told him I was on a wired PC and he asked if I was in the same room as the router. I said no. He told me to go in to the room with the router and see if I can access websites...
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-19, 07:26 PM   #6903
pookie

I think you are already more qualified than the customer support.
Now - 2010 Triton blue sv650s -Back to the future
pookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-19, 09:54 AM   #6904
Seeker
Mega Poster

I don't think I'm a Luddite although I may not have all the gadgets I can see the use for them. I suppose I'm a borderline conservative (not politically) inasmuch as I believe: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

This preamble brings us to email - it's a functional tool which I've used for years. It should be simple to use without the need to look up how to use it. I have noticed that the major players seem to feel the need to keep modifying it to make it "better".

I didn't like it when gmail started linking incoming emails to an appropriate thread because I seem to get lost inside it and have to check dates/times to see what is going on. I understand I can change this but that brings me back to having to look up how to use it.

More recently, I tried to compose an email using gmail and noticed that the ability to attach a file had disappeared. It hadn't but it is now in stealth mode and isn't visible (wtf!), you have to hover the mouse over where the button used to be and text will appear indicating a function (the correct function if you're in the right location). This is madness. So, back into settings (have you seen how many settings there are in gmail?), if you disable "hover" then the stealthy buttons reveal themselves.

Today, I received notification that my yahoo mail account is going to be switched to the new version which, till now, I've resisted. Can't wait to see what little surprises they will spring on me.

If they want to change something give me the ability to use "strike through" on text for comedic effect, like Windows "Live Mail" had 6 years ago. I actually tried to go back to Live Mail, it was a clean and simple email program but google blocks it and I can't be bothered to look for the fix. Maybe I'm showing the first symptoms of Ludditism after all.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-19, 11:48 AM   #6905
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Maybe Gmail hates people attaching files as it takes up space on their servers, so make function harder to use....

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-19, 12:05 PM   #6906
kaivalagi
Mega Poster

If you want to continue being a luddite there's nothing stopping the use of an email client and connecting to Gmail using IMAP. I think even the basic email client in Windows 10 supports all the email clouds...or you could use something like Thunderbird from Firefox...

I miss better separation of email replies in gmail, trying to see what was replied to what in an email chain can be a pain...

Triumph and Suzuki owner

Last edited by kaivalagi; 20-01-19 at 12:06 PM.
kaivalagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-19, 12:10 PM   #6907
Bibio
Mega Poster

its all about IT bods keeping themselves in jobs.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-19, 05:32 PM   #6908
admin
John T
Mega Poster

I've always thought that Google like to be different and their application interfaces reflect that. Different isn't better though and I've been baffled more than once.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
Old 20-01-19, 06:47 PM   #6909
kaivalagi
Mega Poster

As long as they keep on changing and evolving things that's what counts, if Google stuck to the status quo nothing new would emerge....better a few poor choices than no new choices

Triumph and Suzuki owner
kaivalagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-19, 11:22 PM   #6910
BanannaMan

Brrrr it's cold.
-10c here with wind chill at -23c.

"The Mountains are calling and I must go"

BanannaMan is offline   Reply With Quote