SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-08-07, 12:18 PM   #1
Biker_Billy

Default Nearest Trackday Circuit...

Hiya,

Been looking at trackdays - not thinking about this year, maybe next, but wondering if anyone knew where the nearest circuit to me is?

I live in Looe, Cornwall, about 40 mins West of Plymouth. Closest I've found on t'internet is Castle Coombe...any ideas?

Ta muchly..

BB
Old 09-08-07, 12:43 PM   #2
rigor

Default Re: Nearest Trackday Circuit...

I would say yes, Castle Combe is your closest track. Well, techncally I would guess Pembrey is, as the crow flies, but unless you have an amphibious SV then Castle Combe it is

if you decide to try CC, then be aware, they have very strict noise limits, it is entirely possible that an aftermarket can on an SV my struggle (Don't quote me on that, all I know is the standard can on my gixxer won't pass their noise test)
Old 09-08-07, 12:48 PM   #3
Biker_Billy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigor View Post
I would say yes, Castle Combe is your closest track. Well, techncally I would guess Pembrey is, as the crow flies, but unless you have an amphibious SV then Castle Combe it is

if you decide to try CC, then be aware, they have very strict noise limits, it is entirely possible that an aftermarket can on an SV my struggle (Don't quote me on that, all I know is the standard can on my gixxer won't pass their noise test)

Aww poo...

France might be closer than some of the other circuits...lol
Old 09-08-07, 12:49 PM   #4
adw

I live near castle coombe - well 20 miles away and a lot of standard bikes won't pass their tests. Such as Gixxer 600's etc as said above. Their site gives good info http://www.castlecombecircuit.co.uk/bike_trackdays.htm

If you go past you'll realise why they're strict. A number of houses are right on it's doorstep!
Old 09-08-07, 12:56 PM   #5
rigor

Yup, Castle Combe is one of the view circuits where the village was there before the circuit. Unlike Brands, Donnington, Silverstone etc, where the houses are gradually getting closer, and then the noise complaints start rolling in

Castle Combe village itself is very pretty indeed.
Old 09-08-07, 01:06 PM   #6
Biker_Billy

ah well...looks like thats a no no then...Thanks for the replies tho...

Have been looking tosee if there is a circuit, albeit a small one locally in Devon, Cornwall or Somerset, but it seems that they don't exist!!
Old 09-08-07, 01:11 PM   #7
adw

Just had a look for you, only seems to be karting tracks! They're good fun though!
Old 09-08-07, 01:19 PM   #8
mac99

Billy, I can't remember how loud your can was, but not all aftermarket cans will fail. Road legalish ones might pass. When I was there there was a chap from JHS on a modified SV that was OK, though he was right on the limit. Castle Coombe will also check your sound levels out beforehand if you ask them, so if you're ever up that way for any reason give them a call and pop in.
Old 09-08-07, 01:47 PM   #9
Biker_Billy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac99 View Post
Billy, I can't remember how loud your can was, but not all aftermarket cans will fail. Road legalish ones might pass. When I was there there was a chap from JHS on a modified SV that was OK, though he was right on the limit. Castle Coombe will also check your sound levels out beforehand if you ask them, so if you're ever up that way for any reason give them a call and pop in.
Cheers for the reply Mac -its not that loud, you didnt hear it cos you were always flying past me!! - would put the baffle in of course.

You saw the state of my riding tho! - Hopefully I'll be ready for the Novice group next year.

Next time im up there I'll pop in to make sure the dB level is ok - certainly before I book.

ta matey,

BB

p.s. cleaned the bike on your day off on Monday?
Old 09-08-07, 02:59 PM   #10
_Stretchie_
Large Member
Mega Poster

Well mate, if you're going to come up the M5 and take a right onto the M4 for Castle Coombe, you could do worse than to take a look at Llandow circuit, take a left onto the M4 into Wales, it's a bit further away but you don't have the problem with the strict noise levels (this has stopped alot of people attending Castle Coombe, even some with standard cans on). Plus the trackdays are £80. Circuit is just shy of a mile long and great fun

Look right-> <-Look Left
_Stretchie_ is offline   Reply With Quote