SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-11-08, 08:29 PM   #41
EC8010

Default Re: DL650 V-Strom handguards on a SV650

I fitted my hand (knuckle) guards today. Like the Grinch, I had to cut down the bar end weight bolt and run an M6 die down it to extend the thread. The bolt going through the brake lever was a bit trickier and I had to machine a 10.95mm diameter shoulder 1.3mm long on the hex head to allow it to sit in the recess of my K6's lever. That meant the shaft was 1.75mm too long, so I machined another shoulder on that down to 6mm and extended the M6 thread. Yup, I'm glad I have a lathe at home. Guess what, all that took longer than the 0.4 hours specified in the paperwork...

Now I'm almost looking forward to cold rain to see how well it all works. Looks fine though.
Old 01-12-08, 09:30 AM   #42
EC8010

They work! There's a nasty bend on my way into work that's blind, off-camber, and has a drain cover right on the ideal line. Getting round it neatly requires careful use of brake and clutch as you enter, but by that time my fingertips were usually frozen. Not so with the knuckle guards.
Old 01-12-08, 12:01 PM   #43
Grinch

Glad to hear it...
Old 01-12-08, 12:07 PM   #44
ejohnh

Quote:
Originally Posted by EC8010 View Post
They work! There's a nasty bend on my way into work that's blind, off-camber, and has a drain cover right on the ideal line. Getting round it neatly requires careful use of brake and clutch as you enter, but by that time my fingertips were usually frozen. Not so with the knuckle guards.
I've had mine for about a year now. Certainly deflect the cold air but the very tips of my fingers still freeze..
Old 01-12-08, 01:02 PM   #45
Grinch

Yep they always will, simply cus the guards are direct shield and the air moves around them catching your finger tips.
Old 02-12-08, 04:59 PM   #46
EC8010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejohnh View Post
I've had mine for about a year now. Certainly deflect the cold air but the very tips of my fingers still freeze..
Have you tried gloves intended for skiers? OK, they wouldn't give much protection if you fell off, but with unfrozen fingertips you're less likely to fall off. At least, that's my rationale when I put them on...
Old 02-12-08, 06:46 PM   #47
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Quote:
I fitted my hand (knuckle) guards today. Like the Grinch, I had to cut down the bar end weight bolt and run an M6 die down it to extend the thread. The bolt going through the brake lever was a bit trickier and I had to machine a 10.95mm diameter shoulder 1.3mm long on the hex head to allow it to sit in the recess of my K6's lever. That meant the shaft was 1.75mm too long, so I machined another shoulder on that down to 6mm and extended the M6 thread. Yup, I'm glad I have a lathe at home. Guess what, all that took longer than the 0.4 hours specified in the paperwork...

Now I'm almost looking forward to cold rain to see how well it all works. Looks fine though.
I didn't have any of these problems Hope this hasn't put anyone off.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-08, 06:50 PM   #48
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Quote:
Sorry but that sounds,....erm how can I put it?
Surely for "a nasty bend on my way into work that's blind, off-camber, and has a drain cover right on the ideal line" you would sort out your speed & gear before you got to it, I thought you were going to say they work at saving your levers when you lose it.
Oh well, good luck.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-08, 07:38 PM   #49
ophic
Mega Poster

doh! The LH bolt sheared when i was fitting mine!

Cheese cheese cheese

and off back to the supplier they go.
Old 07-12-08, 08:00 PM   #50
EC8010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
Sorry but that sounds,....erm how can I put it?
Surely for "a nasty bend on my way into work that's blind, off-camber, and has a drain cover right on the ideal line" you would sort out your speed & gear before you got to it,
That was what I meant - but get either of those wrong and you're into the bend at the wrong speed.