SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-03-11, 04:43 PM   #1
Philip663

Default Cheap GPS trackers?

Hey all. Came across the idea on the internet a while ago but never bothered looking it up. You can buy cheap (£40ish) gps receivers which take sim cards so you can contact them remotely from your pc. There basic and just really tell you where you bike is but some of them even let you cut the power and all sorts of other things. Would be useful information for if your bike was stolen etc. Here's one on ebay

Has anyone got one or know of anyone?

Phil
Old 22-03-11, 05:31 PM   #2
pookie

Default Re: Cheap gps tracker's

yep i have one of these. . had it out last summer for a ride using a tmobile sim card. I also bought a motrax battery guard with the intention of wiring it inline so the gps didnt kill the battery. The texts are ok and you can use them with google maps to find the location and street. Suffice to say its still work in progress as the battery guard was so big I havent found anywhere to stick it on the ninja.

To set up you need to send it text messages.
Now - 2010 Triton blue sv650s -Back to the future
pookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-11, 07:58 AM   #3
timwilky
Mega Poster

I looked at them and thought what a good idea.

You need to get a sim on the right tariff, ie doesn't require monthly top ups and hard wire it in. Battery drain is what worried me.
Old 23-03-11, 08:03 AM   #4
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
I looked at them and thought what a good idea.

You need to get a sim on the right tariff, ie doesn't require monthly top ups and hard wire it in. Battery drain is what worried me.
agreed.
Is that the one that sends a 25p message every 2 minutes

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-11, 08:06 AM   #5
timwilky
Mega Poster

I guess it depends how you set it up.

GPRS or similar would be a heavy cost for real time tracking. But I suppose if you use it in the manual mode it is one text every time you send it a "Where are you"
Old 23-03-11, 08:17 AM   #6
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

True
where are you is what I'd do.

Good idea for the london area, but if you were going to track the bike; biketrac is the best but dear god its expensive

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-11, 12:28 PM   #7
pete m

Default Re: Cheap GPS trackers?

The whole tracketr scene is v strange - so the technology is there to set it up for under £50 , yet no-one in the industry seems particularly fussed .... youd think the insurance industry would drive the market, cos the manufacturers are happy to see bikes go awol - it seems anyway...But v few insureres give much discount to people bothering to fit them ...and do you really want the bike back after the theiving scum have had a jolly on it...?

Im amazed these things are so cheap - I thought you were looking at £300 + fitting + monthly fee for a tracker...
Old 23-03-11, 05:02 PM   #8
bris

I have one of those. They can be set up different ways. You can text it to listen in on people talking or text it again and it becomes a tracker by giving it a different command. it can be set up to relay the position every few seconds or just once depending again on what command you sent it. it is very accurate and if hidden correctly would almost certainly tell you where your stolen bike is.
It sends a coordinate that you put into google maps or google earth and pinpoints the location. It also has software with it that can track it real time. All the info depends on a sim card though so it would need to be topped up to work.
Old 23-03-11, 05:02 PM   #9
bris

I have one of those. They can be set up different ways. You can text it to listen in on people talking or text it again and it becomes a tracker by giving it a different command. it can be set up to relay the position every few seconds or just once depending again on what command you sent it. it is very accurate and if hidden correctly would almost certainly tell you where your stolen bike is.
It sends a coordinate that you put into google maps or google earth and pinpoints the location. It also has software with it that can track it real time. All the info depends on a sim card though so it would need to be topped up to work.