SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Photos Place your images here. There's also a "U" rating so please respect this.

Old 20-06-11, 10:58 PM   #231
northwind
Mega Poster

Default Re: Always wear yer ferkin leathers. Graffic images.

Good point well made, everyone knows nobody ever crashes below the speed limit.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-11, 11:26 AM   #232
Luckypants
Mega Poster

The 'me too' posts laying into Sorebutt have been deleted, the point has already been made. Can we keep further posts to the subject at hand, the effectiveness of leathers and back protectors in reducing injury.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-11, 07:33 PM   #233
gruntygiggles
DaffyGingerBint
Mega Poster

I saw a guy doing silly speeds on his triumph today in a vest and shorts...I hope every bike forum has a thread like this so that hopefully people like him are saved the pain of losing skin, muscle and bone as they most definitely would coming off wearing next to nothing!

Last edited by Luckypants; 22-06-11 at 08:46 AM.
gruntygiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-11, 07:37 PM   #234
Specialone

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruntygiggles View Post
I saw a guy doing silly speeds on his triumph today in a vest and shorts...I hope every bike forum has a thread like this so that hopefully people like him are saved the pain of losing skin, muscle and bone as they most definitely would coming off wearing next to nothing!
Go to greece, most people didnt even bother with lids, but the ones that did didnt do them up and left the strap dangling, lid would come off before they touched the floor.
I was speaking to a bar owner who told me when he finished his national service he came out with a few quid and bought a brand new gixxer, he wore all the gear unlike most, went a bit mad by his own admission and binned it and had to have pins in his ankles, he rides a scoot now lol

Me and wifey was tempted to hire a bike while over there but couldnt get the fear of bone grinding road rash out of our heads so thought better of it in the end.

Last edited by Luckypants; 24-06-11 at 09:10 AM.
Old 29-06-11, 06:30 PM   #235
AkiraSV

Just seen this thread. I too can vouch for wearing proper gear plus a back protector AND chest protector.

Came off in April, dislocated my left shoulder (which also displaced a ligament) and also ruptured a ligament in my knee. Could have been much worse if not for the gear I was wearing.

Do many people generally wear chest protectors? I wouldn't be without mine. The bruising on the front of my left shoulder perfectly outlined the chest protector I was wearing, god knows what it would have been like without it.
Old 30-06-11, 10:06 AM   #236
Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkiraSV View Post
Just seen this thread. I too can vouch for wearing proper gear plus a back protector AND chest protector.

Came off in April, dislocated my left shoulder (which also displaced a ligament) and also ruptured a ligament in my knee. Could have been much worse if not for the gear I was wearing.

Do many people generally wear chest protectors? I wouldn't be without mine. The bruising on the front of my left shoulder perfectly outlined the chest protector I was wearing, god knows what it would have been like without it.
I've never worn one although I think it's not a bad idea. Not sure if a chest protector would have given me any less injury than a sustained. But who knows.
Old 03-07-11, 12:22 AM   #237
AkiraSV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig View Post
I've never worn one although I think it's not a bad idea. Not sure if a chest protector would have given me any less injury than a sustained. But who knows.
I've checked out a few different ones but went with the Knox chest protector in the end. Makes you look like you've had a bit of a boob job as it's a bit thick, but you get used to it and it can (hopefully) help absorb some energy if your chest takes an impact. Just seems like a good investment for the sake of thirty quid.
Old 07-07-11, 01:57 PM   #238
T33OWL

Stig, my god... Thank god you're ok.

I've just spent the best part of 30 minutes reading this thread and I'm astonished at some of the stuff in there.
I refuse to go anywhere without protection, if I'm bumbling around it's my Draggin Jeans, Dainese fabric jacket, Boots, Gloves, Helmet, but on a ride out I put the full leather gear on.

It's just not worth the risk. After all even if you trust your riding and don't hoon about there's always some plank who 'just didn't see you.'

Never really thought of a back protector, but I'm getting some new leathers soon and it looks like I'll be shaving a few quid off my budget to get a back protector too.
Old 07-07-11, 08:52 PM   #239
AkiraSV

I had a conversation with one of my friends the other day. She's recently started seeing some guy who rides a bike, and she was saying she's off out on the back of him soon (she's never been on a bike before), I asked if she had all the right gear, her reply was: "But we're only off for a short ride so surely I wont need all the gear?"

Needless to say, I educated her a fair bit.
Old 08-07-11, 01:09 PM   #240
gruntygiggles
DaffyGingerBint
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkiraSV View Post
I had a conversation with one of my friends the other day. She's recently started seeing some guy who rides a bike, and she was saying she's off out on the back of him soon (she's never been on a bike before), I asked if she had all the right gear, her reply was: "But we're only off for a short ride so surely I wont need all the gear?"

Needless to say, I educated her a fair bit.
It amazes me to see what some pillions wear. I feel bad they they haven't got the brains to figure out for themselves how bady they could get hurt, or worse, but also I feel sorry for them that they are with blokes who care more about showing off by taking them out for a ride than caring enough about them to ensure their safety. Would these be the kind of bloke to stick around after 4+ years of operations, skin grafts, pins/plates etc? Probably not. A momentary desire to go for a quick bimble can easily turn into life lost or life permanently altered.

She had to have plates and pins in her leg and hip and 4 operations over 4 years...permanent extensive scarring, all from a 20 minute end of season ride on which my ex made sure she had ALL the right gear on. If she didn't, docs said she'd have without doubt died from the extent of her injuries and her back protector prevented a metal rod literally going through her spine.

So...show that also to anyone thinking of going pillion but not wanting to get the gear. There are always people willing to lend stuff for a one off ride rather than forgoing the expense of buying new for something you don't know if you'll like or not, so ask about and use it!