SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 13-05-08, 08:19 AM   #1
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

Default Just got virgin media :) amazing.

Well, moved to york on the 1st of may and rang bt to transfer our landline. We initially paid 125 quid to be connected in november and they said I'd have to pay 125 quid to get our new property connected - even though it already has an active line. I told them I'd rather pay the remaining £87 quid of line rental to leave them, than pay 250 quid in a year to stay with them for absolutely carp service.

Called virgin media - the existing service providers - £30 quid to connect bonus

then for 7 quid more a month than we were paying with bt we could get *Large Broadband (currently 4mb increasing to 10mb in june with no download limits - no limits due to the on demand service & telly coming through the broadband line) and *Large tv package with all the freeview channels plus discovery channels, eurosport for the bikes, bravo, uktv gold (for rainy days off), tonnes more, AND ON DEMAND! THIS IS AMAZING!!!!!

any telly broadcast in the last 7 days, click play and it plays with no adverts all for £32 a month. Just felt I had to rant about this. Oh and if anyone is thinking of joining up, let me know since the recommend a friend scheme gives £30 to both the existing customer and their friend when they sign up.

That is all

Cbf600, sv650, sv1000, gsxr 750 srad, KTM adventure 950, gsxr 750 k1, gsxr 750 srad, fazer 1000, zx9r ninja..
Paul the 6th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-08, 08:24 AM   #2
G
Mega Poster

Default Re: Just got virgin media :) amazing.

BT are so crap.

Its incredibly annoying how a company that provides such a poor service can have such a monopoly in this sector.

I had to pay £135 to get my houses phone lines connected, then they obviously tie you in for a year or they wont connect your line.

No one else can connect your line and thats wrong IMO

We wasted 3 days waiting in for them and they never showec, and wasted over 4 hours on hold to their call centres which are near impossible to understand.

In the end they managed to connect the line (which I know is just flicking a switch in the green box at the end of the road) and they didnt even need to come in the house.

Rediculous service.
Old 13-05-08, 08:29 AM   #3
tigersaw
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by graemepaterson View Post
(which I know is just flicking a switch in the green box at the end of the road) .
Umm no, they will have to jumper in your house line to a clean pair on the tie to the exchange, which they have to buzz out first, then set you up at the exchange end too.

However, I agree entirely that its no big deal
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-08, 08:41 AM   #4
timwilky
Mega Poster

You will quickly learn Virgin Media is not all it is cracked up to be. Unlimited broadband refers to no cap on bytes downloaded. However, they have STM. a traffic management system that halves your speed rate (if you can get the speed you purchase in the first place, they are over subscribed on most of their infrastructure) if they think you have downloaded/uploaded to much.

Phone is a total rip off. 6p/call connection charge. Now you have cable broadband, go voip. No need for a VM phone or their expensive rates.

Now I wouldn't be the sort to advise you to look a Dbox, dreambox, starview recievers etc. that would enable you to receive all VM channels as it would be illegal to connect one of those to your cable feed.
Old 13-05-08, 08:45 AM   #5
G
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigersaw View Post
Umm no, they will have to jumper in your house line to a clean pair on the tie to the exchange, which they have to buzz out first, then set you up at the exchange end too.

However, I agree entirely that its no big deal
Well no one had to come into the house, as they did it all eventually without anyone ever seeing them, as neither the girlfriend or I was in on the day it was finally sorted.
Old 13-05-08, 08:52 AM   #6
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
Now I wouldn't be the sort to advise you to look a Dbox, dreambox, starview recievers etc. that would enable you to receive all VM channels as it would be illegal to connect one of those to your cable feed.
interesting

just done a line speed test and it did show up at 1.5mb with the telly running. Guess thats why they're upgrading to 10mb to try and get the speed upto what it should be?

Thanks for all the replies, as with any service or product there usually is a downside (apart from the sv) but I honestly cannot see how virgin could be anywhere as bad as BT.

Cbf600, sv650, sv1000, gsxr 750 srad, KTM adventure 950, gsxr 750 k1, gsxr 750 srad, fazer 1000, zx9r ninja..
Paul the 6th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-08, 09:01 AM   #7

to be honest I have always wanted to leave virgin media, however I cant justify it, I recently upgraded to the V+ box which is the best 75£ i spent and is HD to match my new HD tv, the picture is amazing, service much improved and the non HD picture quality is even better.

Yes sky is better out the box but it also doesnt work when the wind blows.. Virgin only gives up if a JCB goes though the cable.... which is less often than the wind blowing.

plus as an existing customer they gave me lotsa discount when I called to re arrange my services with them.

i never worry about internet speed, afterall if it works and downloads what i want eventually thatll do for me!
Old 13-05-08, 09:05 AM   #8
G
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454697819 View Post
Yes sky is better out the box but it also doesnt work when the wind blows.. Virgin only gives up if a JCB goes though the cable.... which is less often than the wind blowing.

plus as an existing customer they gave me lotsa discount when I called to re arrange my services with them.

i never worry about internet speed, afterall if it works and downloads what i want eventually thatll do for me!
I have never had a problem with sky and the wind blowing but the reason i got sky was because if there was even the slightest cloud in the sky I lot half my digital channels.....and that was after spending ?300 odd on an ariel and booster amongst other things robbed.....stupid and naive lol