SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-05-06, 10:57 PM   #1
joelowden

Default Rear Shock question.

Does anyone know if a rear shock off a 2006 ZX10R is suitable for a Curvy ?
Thanks .
Old 28-05-06, 12:29 AM   #2
PeterM

Yes.
Old 28-05-06, 01:42 AM   #3
Grinch

You can fit a number of shocks form other bikes to the SV's with some modification, normally to the battery tray. They all have different spring rates and loads, but if you do a search for it you should find alot of information.
Old 28-05-06, 02:20 PM   #4
silent

hi there.

Yep I did this mod on a curvy sv650s. You need to cut the battery box i found this to not only be the plastic part but also the metal hinged part attached to the tank (but not part of the tank)

As said on that thread the shocker doesn’t come with any bolts which is a shame as mine came with the bolt at the top of the shock which was perfect for fitting the bottom of the shock to the linkage, you will have to measure up how long you need the bolt and what width and then get one to do this as already mentioned in the thread the standard shock has a thread on it at the bottom...hence the need for the new bolt and nut.

To do this mod you need to:

-Mount the bike with an abba stand or similar, I not paddock stands as they seem a bit unstable to me and the rear swing arm needs to be free moving... but if its your only way then be careful, very careful and its going to be very hard...and you need a friend that’s strong … basically don’t do it…

-take off the back wheel (undo wheel nut, slide out the axle, slacken off chain adjusters and remove the chain from the back wheel and slide out the wheel)

-take off the side grills by the front seat and then take off the front seat.

-undo the shock bolt at the top of the shock (14mm...Mine was very solidly on and caused grate difficulty...then I got the proper tools...and it was hard but manageable) then the linkage bolt then the bottom shock bolt.

-the swing arm I think is now completely free, lift it up and slide the shock out the bottom.

-now slide the zx10 shock in...and mark where you need to cut on the plastic battery box and cut, (I used a Dremmel)...make sure you move the battery out of the way first though...please Very Happy...I had to cut a little of the left of the box (as sat on the bike) to allow me to be able to reach the screw for either compression or rebound damping (the one at the top)

-now undo the two Allen bolts at the front of the tank and the two hex bolts at the back of the tank and take it off...I just rested it on the bike to stop me having to disconnect everything.

-now take the zx10 shock and mark how much needs to be cut off and where...it was from the left hand side for me...you will see what i mean when you come to do it.

-now fit the zx10 shock and bolt up the linkage etc

-then put the tank back on...check the hinge doesn’t foul the shock reservoir. Tighten up the bolts.

-put in a foam block under the battery to stop it resting on the shock reservoir. refit the battery...I had to get rid of the plastic shelf normally on top of the battery area to allow it to fit...don’t so what I did and reattach the battery the wrong way (positive on negative and visa versa....3 blown fuses and allot of irritation that caused...)

-tighten everything and make sure everything so far is back on properly.

-set the rebound damping to middle on the shock and tinker with it as you ride to find what you like.

-depending on your weight set the compression damping. Im 11.5 stone kitted up so backed it pretty much fully off as the spring is slightly to strong for my weight anyway.

-now put the back wheel on and chain etc. set the chain slack.

-now to set the sag...mine as it came was pretty much ok so yours might be.

-remove any load at all from the back suspension...measure from the axle to a static point above it...say the foot peg hanger. Note it down.

-now take the bike and let it down and stand it up as it would be if it were standing without the side stand...employ a friend or brother...if your like me...measure the same, axle to the static point...it should be less...

Now sit on the bike and measure the same again...

-these are your static and active sag measurements...look here for what you want etc and adjust preload etc accordingly..

http://forum.svrider.com/index.php?topic=61655.0

Now put everything back on and your ready to go. Now all you need to do is get the front sorted if it’s not already...

Stuff you need:
Allen key set,
Good wrench set
Foam block
Zx10 shock
Extra bolt.
A friend
A ruler/tape measure
Pen and paper
A Dremmel or good hacksaw and patience
Abba stand or similar.

Hope this helps and I hope I haven’t forgotten anything.

Andy

just copied and pasted this from my outbox....i did it for someone else...
Old 29-05-06, 08:47 AM   #5
joelowden

Thanks for your help everybody; especially Silent for taking the time to do that.
Cheers Joe.
Old 30-05-06, 01:18 PM   #6
silent

sorry wait i think i read it wrong thats for a 2005 zx10r...

Andy
Old 01-02-07, 04:11 PM   #7
Luckypants
Mega Poster

OK resurrecting this thread.

Anyone who has fitted a ZX10 shock tell me what size 'new bolt' I will need for the top bolt?

Anyone done it without using an ABBA stand or similar?
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote