SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-03-08, 12:59 PM   #1
Sevorg

Default Legal or Reckless Filtering???

Does anyone know what speed filtering becomes illegal wreckless riding?
I had to do a 25 mile filter on the M1 yesterday and wasn't sure if I was filtering or riding like a lemon!!

My guess is this, technically filtering is only when the cars are stationary but I reckon they were travelling an average of 40mph and was doing around 45-50....
Old 29-03-08, 02:20 PM   #2
Bear

Default Re: Legal or Wreckless Filtering???

It's a matter of opinion of the policeman viewing and the courts I reckon, but I'm sure one of our many boys in blue will answer definitively soon. If I'm going past a police car in traffic I usually stick to within 10 miles of the speed limit, or 10 mph faster than the traffic, whichever's slowest, but if you get pulled don't say 'well Bear told me..."
Old 29-03-08, 02:27 PM   #3
Dangerous Dave

More than 10mph faster than the other traffic is regarded reckless by most police officers, but it is a mtter of opinion to that officer. Another factor is also in your method of filtering, location, road lay out.

Basically on motorways, filter in one lane only (between 1&2 or 2&3 lanes) and less than 10mph faster than the other traffic and you will be ok.

There is no law on filtering, just a officers view of road safety and filtering traffic doing less than 30mph is really the only sensible option as you have time to react and will be less likely to be not seen.

Last edited by Dangerous Dave; 29-03-08 at 02:34 PM.
Old 29-03-08, 02:31 PM   #4
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevorg View Post
My guess is this, technically filtering is only when the cars are stationary but I reckon they were travelling an average of 40mph and was doing around 45-50....
If you averaged 45mph and the traffic averaged 40mph, 25 miles later you would arrive 4.5 minutes ahead of where you'd be if you'd sat in the queue...

meanwhile you'd have spent over half an hour trying to pick your way through traffic doing 40mph, a speed at which i doubt many would be expecting a motorcycle to come between them and the lane next door, and your chances of getting side-swiped would be about as high as they get

illegal or not, i probably wouldn't think the reward justified the risk...
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-08, 02:53 PM   #5
Sevorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lone_wolf View Post
If you averaged 45mph and the traffic averaged 40mph, 25 miles later you would arrive 4.5 minutes ahead of where you'd be if you'd sat in the queue...
illegal or not, i probably wouldn't think the reward justified the risk...
Good point well put. Thanks - I will take this on board next time I'm trying to rush home to beat the fall of darkness. After all, what are headlights for?? probably see you coming just as well!!

Cheers for the help all.
Old 29-03-08, 03:14 PM   #6
sinbad

I'm with t.l.w on this. If the traffic is making "decent" progress, I'm quite happy to be part of the queue.
I thought the law in the UK was that filtering through stationary or very slow traffic is legal but "lane splitting" moving traffic is not.
Old 29-03-08, 03:15 PM   #7
philbut

It can be very tempting to filter in situations like that, and I can't say I've never done it, but as lone_wolf has said, probably not worth the risk to you health / bike. I occasionally cut betwen two cars if the idiot in the faster lane is just dithering level with the slower one, but not down a whole line of cars.
Old 29-03-08, 03:16 PM   #8
Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lone_wolf View Post
If you averaged 45mph and the traffic averaged 40mph, 25 miles later you would arrive 4.5 minutes ahead of where you'd be...
With a massive grin on your face and a lot less stress and tension than the fools in cars. Stress and tension can lead to heart attacks you know. I just don't think the reward of being 5 minutes late justify the risk...
Old 29-03-08, 03:40 PM   #9
arenalife

I usually initiate a moving filter when traffic speed drops to 20mph or so and come out of it when it gets back to 40 - 50mph
Old 29-03-08, 04:35 PM   #10
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Yes, if you're wreckless try to keep it that way.

If, however, you are reckless you're chances of staying wreckless diminish greatly.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote