SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-06-09, 08:39 PM   #1
svtomo

Default how loud is 105db?

hi,
just been looking at doing my 1st trackday and noticed that there is a 105 db noise limit, just wondered if anyone could try and spell out how load that is in the real world.
i have a 350mm delkevic exhaust on my bike and its fairly load, used to have a fuel exhaust on it, iv noticed there is a few people on here with them on and wondered if they have eve been tested as i think that was louder than it is now.
any help/advice muchly apprieciated,
cheers
Old 01-06-09, 08:49 PM   #2
Alpinestarhero

Default Re: how loud is 105db?

its

this loud

which is not as loud as pete and lissa's old SV, which had a stubbied exhuast which was

this loud

Generally though, a slip-on ehaust is often no more than 105 db. SV's are generally quiet bikes; my SV with its fuel end can on is not as loud as say a GSXR with a loud end-can.
Old 01-06-09, 09:40 PM   #3
FG1

Mine measured 99 db at 4500 rpm with a stubby Fuel without baffle at Snetterton. That was a nice deep tone so I should imagine you will be OK, especially if you have one of those baffle thingies that I have heard of.....
Old 01-06-09, 09:47 PM   #4
flymo
Mega Poster

its very difficult to tell by ear just how loud a bike is, sounds daft but true.

I've heard loud race bikes that register pretty low with a sound meter. Its the type of sound, not just the perceived volume. A raspy 2 stroke 125 will register much higher than your average 4 stroke screamer.

The other thing is that the sound meter test should be done at a specific rev limit based on the bore and stroke and type of motor. Your bike might be very quiet at the test revs and loud as hell higher up.

Only way to test for sure is with a meter.
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-09, 10:38 PM   #5
pencil shavings

my bike with a straight through two brothers racing can is super quite below 5k rpm, then comes to life, and really makes a noise after 9k rpm
Old 02-06-09, 01:35 AM   #6
Jamiebridges123

C&P'd from some forum I found on google.

Quote:
* Near total silence - 0 dB
* A whisper - 15 dB
* Normal conversation - 60 dB
* A lawnmower - 90 dB
* A car horn - 110 dB
* A rock concert or a jet engine - 120 dB
* A gunshot or firecracker - 140 dB
Old 02-06-09, 06:05 AM   #7
ThEGr33k

Remember that for every 3dB increase the noise gets twice as loud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pencil shavings View Post
my bike with a straight through two brothers racing can is super quite below 5k rpm, then comes to life, and really makes a noise after 9k rpm

So surly it dont make noise too often?

Last edited by ThEGr33k; 02-06-09 at 06:08 AM.
Old 02-06-09, 09:52 AM   #8
pencil shavings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThEGr33k View Post
Remember that for every 3dB increase the noise gets twice as loud.

So surly it dont make noise too often?
the first bit - I did not know that

and no, it dosent make noise too often, unless Im going to a proper ride, it works out well I think, quite in town when you dont really want to attract attention, then lets everyone know you are coming when you push!
Old 02-06-09, 10:05 AM   #9
ThEGr33k

From onboard mine seems loudest at 3K... which is about the RPM I ride at in town, well between 2.5K and 3K most of the time. Woops. As to weather it is actually the loudest from off the bike. Im not too sure, would guess not.
Old 02-06-09, 10:11 AM   #10
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

Yup every 3db is a doubling of volume but only electronically measured with no weighting.

For a percieved doubling in volume a 6-10db increase would be required. This is because the human ear automatically attenuates low frequencies. So V-Twin are generally much quieter to the ear than a screaming IL4.

Ever noticed how you hear a V-Twin rev and you smile where as an IL4 you wince???
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote