SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-09-15, 12:13 PM   #21
Alexander94

Default Re: exhaust removal

Because stainless fasteners cost a tiny bit more than mild steel fasteners...
Yeah, taking your time is key. I went a bit too fast and caught the flange with the grinder, luckily I had a spare down pipe and flange though haha

It's not a silly question. You can use a normal 1/2" ratchet. I prefer the idea of using a ratchet anyway because you're fully in control of how much force you put on it. I've used mine a few times now and it's quite a handy tool to have
Old 14-09-15, 05:17 PM   #22
ClunkintheUK

How is best to cut them off, I can see getting an angle grinder in there for the right hand nut, but the left hand seems a bit tight, or are you better off taking your time and using a hacksaw?
Old 14-09-15, 05:37 PM   #23
Alexander94

I used an angle grinder and had a problem with the left one. I also used a dremel with a cutting disc and a grinding stone, a file and tried grabbing it with mole grips too
Just take it slowly and be careful, if you've got the patience you'll be able to do it without damaging the flange
Old 14-09-15, 09:06 PM   #24
wideguy

I'd use a straight die grinder and a course stone small enough to fit in, but big enough to grind off the weld.

I'm not sure that's even the way I'd approach it. Do you have some pictures from the side? Of both ends?
Old 14-09-15, 09:51 PM   #25
fchat63

Hi,
Reckon I've got the same problem, where can I get the stainless studs and nuts from and what size are they? Found the stud extractor on the interweb.
Cheers,
Old 15-09-15, 07:40 AM   #26
Alexander94

Hi, I got the studs and nuts off eBay. The studs that I got are M8 x 45mm and the nuts are M8 flange nuts, all stainless and cost about £6 in total if I remember rightly.
I'll try and find them in my purchases and post the item numbers
Old 15-09-15, 07:46 AM   #27
Alexander94

These are the studs, I thought they were 45mm but they might have been 40mm, i've got one left in my garage so I'll measure it to confirm. Pack of 5 for £4 delivered
EBay item number: 301358346021

M8 Stainless flange nuts, pack of 10 for £1.65 (this supplier is really good, I've used them a lot)
EBay item number: 150792649468

Hope this helps guys
Old 17-09-15, 07:37 AM   #28
fchat63

Nice one, I'll be ordering them this weekend.
Thanks
Old 17-09-15, 10:48 AM   #29
Sam Vimes

Does anyone have any tips on removing the pipe from the head. I have gotten the bolts/nuts off my front header pipe on a Gladys but the pipe doesn't want to budge. Nowt wrong with it I was just going to give it a damned good clean up but it might be an idea to get it moving before I have to in anger !
Old 17-09-15, 11:39 AM   #30
Alexander94

Hi Sam. I don't really know for a Gladius, all I can say is make sure that all the nuts and bolts are off. I had to tap the pipe with a mallet as close as possible to the head.
Have you undone the part where the front header joins the centre part of the exhaust? (if that's how it is on a Gladys)