SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-04-18, 07:07 AM   #1
stinkerbill

Default Fuel level gauge - o-ring or no?

Hi all

I've recently had my tank painted and am about to refit the fuel level gauge.

As standard it doesn't have an o-ring, but the painting has left some residue around the hole where it screw in.

Therefore I was assuming I'd fit an o-ring (or just some PTFE tape?), BUT before I do is there any reason not to? I'm guessing it will marginally affect the 'level' at which the fuel light comes on as the o-ring will mean the gauge is maybe 2mm less deep into the tank, but is there any other reason I'm missing?

Does the gauge need a metal-on-metal contact with the tank for any reason?

Might be a stupid question, but if you don't know, you don't know.
stinkerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-18, 07:34 AM   #2
stinkerbill

Default Re: Fuel level gauge - o-ring or no?

IGNORE ME!

Sorry Admin, please close - just took a closer look at the gauge itself and there's a rubber gasket 'inset' to the base itself

stinkerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-18, 07:50 AM   #3
keith_d
Mega Poster

You didn't specify which bike you're riding, but if the fuel tank sender only has one wire it probably uses the tank to complete the circuit. This used to be common on older cars, and I assume also on vintage bikes.

Modern bikes use two wire senders where there's a ground connection in the wiring loom. I'd imagine that modern cars have already started using digital sensors which communicate over CAN bus, but hopefully it'll be a while before this arrives on bikes.

So, if your sender only has one wire you might need to remove paint residue to ensure a decent connection, but on most bikes there's no need.
keith_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-18, 08:35 AM   #4
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith_d View Post
... which communicate over CAN bus, but hopefully it'll be a while before this arrives on bikes.
Lots of BMW, Ducati and Triumph models already use CAN bus I believe. Must read up on it as I have no idea what it means...
Old 11-04-18, 04:46 PM   #5
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
It's supposed to reduce the amount of copper wiring by sending coded information to/from devices along the bus. So if you have a fuel gauge, a temperaure gauge, a speedo and a tacho etc, you could have one pair of wires feeding all the instruments but with each piece of information addressed to that specific device (which would have its own unique address). So the temperature information only goes to the temperature gauge for example.

The problem can arrise when you want to replace your speedo (as an example) and the ECU doesn't recognise the new device (maybe it's slightly different firmware) and the bike won't run. Also makes adding aftermarket devices more difficult since they now have to be canbus compliant.
Thanks for that Seeker. A nice clear explanation.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-18, 05:49 PM   #6
SV650rules
Mega Poster

CANbus is the work of the devil when applied to whole vehicle - it means instead of just fitting a new part you have to address it and get it to talk to the network. Each module (eg. rear light cluster ) can receive and send information back to ECU (to tell if a bulb has blown etc. but to do this it measures the current device is drawing, if you replace a normal filament bulb with an LED one which will draw much less power it will signal a fault) - there are two ways to get new bulb accepted - one of which is to strap a resistor in parallel with LED to draw enough current to fool the module, another one is you can reprogram (or get it reprogrammed) the system to accept the new lower current. That is why a lot of aftermarket equipment like LED bulbs and HID bulb power supplies are labelled 'CABbus compatible' as they will fool the system, also CANbus systems can be more susceptible to electrical interference than normal wiring system so an un-suppressed shonky after-market HID module (25KV) will play havoc with the bus, but on a non-CANbus system will just interfere with your radio. Most Jap car makers have been slow to go over to CANbus to control every aspect of the vehicle, but the Europeans went into it headfirst. This lines up well with the fact that Germans were put on the planet to make things as complicated as possible, but the Japanese like to keep things simple - anyone who has ever worked on Siemens industrial stuff will know where I am coming from, Allen-Bradley, Omron and Mitsubishi are much more user friendly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAN_bus

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 11-04-18 at 08:15 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote